Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microtek 1800f

Microtek 1800f

This is a good scanner for the work I do. I got it because Ted Harris suggested that it was the one to get. It has been excellent. Now the Bulb for the top (flatbed scanning portion) has burned out. Does anyone know whether the bulbs are standard and where I can get replacements? So far the negative/transparency portion is working. I should get replacement bulbs for both. If the unit goes bad, is there anyone who can repair them?

Preston

lazy retired bum

Re: Microtek 1800f

I'll be interested in any replies to this as well since I too have an 1800f, also purchased on Ted's recommendations. Microtek is not famous in this forum for support and repair though, to be fair, I have not needed repair on mine.

Thanks.

Eric

Preston,

You probably need to go directly to Microtek for this.

Call (310) 687-5940 and saee what they can do for you.

As for repairs... Microtek as well, but that would probably be a different division.

Note that the 1800f might not have user0replaceable lamps in it, so it may need to be sent in for a repair.

Best of luck,

---Michael

Could I suggest a call to Jim Andracki at MPEX? I just went through Ted's old emails to see if I could find any help, and, frankly, a lot of the players at Microtek have changed, so his old contacts aren't likely to help. But at the time the scanning workshop in Columbus happened at Midwest a couple of years ago, Jim got connected with a lot of those contacts and became a "first call" on this kind of question. I can't help but think that if anyone would go more than an extra mile to get some answers for you, it would be Jim.

Thanks to all. Michael and Amy, good to hear from you both. I got in touch with Microtek and was told that since my scanner is less than 4 years old, I could get a replacement for$485.00. The rep. indicated that it would be an F1 model. I can only find an M1 and I guess either I did not hear her clearly or she made an error (I did ask again if she said F1 and was told yes). At any rate I can still get a newer machine. Is there an F1 scanner? I have not found anyone to repair the scanner.
    Preston

Preston

Preston... The following is from an email Ted wrote as part of an inquiry from someone in July '07... FWIW (obviously when Microtek was "pregnant" with the M1):

"... It is impossible to make any definitive statements about the M1 (marketed as the F1 in some parts of the world)..."

... and another inquiry that came his way around the same time:

"I am a photographer based in london, and I need to upgrade my Epson scanner. I was debating about getting the V750 to scan my 4x5 negatives, but I am wondering whether the Microtek will be any better. It has just come out in the shops here, but I can't seem to find any reviews of it yet. Have you had a chance to check one out yet, or have you heard any reviews of it. It's called the F1 here instead of the M1."

So... my guess is you're getting an M1!

Preston,

Amy has a wealth of information in Ted's old emails! I recently got a new M1/F1, and can highly recommend it. No, it's not a drum scanner, but it is quite good and very reliable in my system (Mac Pro, OS10.4).

The F1 in Europe apparently has one difference; dust removal software/hardware, but in the US, that is not pssible due to who has the rights to the technology aparently.

---Michael

Thanks to all. What a wealth of information. Glad you are both here. Mike, did you keep the 1000xl?
    Preston

I am too interested in finding out how I could get mine repaired. It was doing a fantastic job... and suddenly broke down: big noise, if I turn it on, it is "screaming", sounds like the carriage got stucked or blocked & doesn't want to move. Absolutely no help from Microtek, my scanner is 4 years old (although it has not been used too much) and they say they have no repair unit in the U.S. There is a repair unit in Canada but they don't accept over the border sending... Would like to find someone capable to look into it & repair, I am in the Washington DC area.

Julie, pm sent.
    Mike