Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Single Lens Photographers?

Wink Single Lens Photographers?

Any photographers here who have and use only one lens for their LF cameras (by choice, not due to economic necessity)? What do you photograph, and what lens are you using?
    The examples of whom I am aware are Paul Strand: 12" Dagor on both his 8x10 Deardorf and 5x6 Graflex, Marie Cosindas 135mm on her 4x5 Technika, and Atget had only one lens (an 11" or 12") for his 19x24 cm Rickety Soapbox Special.
    Personally, I'm not happy without at least 3 or 4 lenses to choose from.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Re: Single Lens Photographers?

I have found that when shooting 4x5 and larger I have a marked preference for the 240mm Caltar Type Y, apparently manufactured by Rodenstock.

I don't really fit into this catagory now, as I recently bought two other lenses to use, but I shot with one lens on my Speed Graphic for about 25 years, the original f4.7 127mm Ektar.
    I liked the slightly wide angle look it gave me, and I worked within any if its' limitations.
    Keith

I've committed to a 14" Ektar with 8x10.

The 4x5 work I did 2006-08 was done with with a 150mm on the Linhof or the 135mm when I switch to the lighter Crown. I know that I am going "tighter" on purpose... I would have kept the 10" Ektar if I wanted to have continuity with the 4x5 work but I didn't want that.

If I had unlimited resources I might succumb to having more lenses (and I have in the past) but... it really does clarify the task at hand not to have to be all things to all people (like an all-around commercial photographer would need to be.)

It save a lot of time and decision-making... I figure there is a good photo regardless of the lens I use, so I should just keep it simple.

I much appreciate the idea in this thread, but I think the subject, or task at hand influences the lens choice. For example, yesterday I shot the exterior of an historic theater here in town, documentary photographs to support a NPS grant application. I took four lenses for 4x5 (90 Congo, 150 Sironar-S, 210 G-Claron, 300 RD Artar) and I used them all, with the 90 and 150 used most. When I am hiking though, I like to take a 5x7 with only two lenses, a 120 Angulon and 240 Fuji A. I can't say I have ever wished for more than these two lenses when out on a hike. In fact, I probably could leave one of the two at home, and not miss it.

If I HAD to choose just one lens in each format I would choose:
    4x5 - 150 Apo Sironar-S
    5x7 - 240 Fuji A
    8x10 - 14" RD Artar
    8x20 - 355 G Claron

I just can't get myself to sell my other lenses...

Since I purchased my 135mm it has been my most used lens. I could easily be happy with that one lens.

It depends on what you subject is (4x5 format), architecture - 120 or 90, general purpose - 150, people - 210 or 250. I am jazzed whenever I look at the image my 120mm Super Angulon throws on the ground glass! But it's huge and heavy.

When i first started shooting 4 x 5 i used a 90mm F8 super angulon exclusively for about 2 years, despite also having a 65mm and a 150/265 convertable symmar. I shoot mostly landscapes and the 90mm just seems to suit the way i see the landscape very well. When my equipment all got stolen, i had to downgrade to a Cambo SC 6 x 9 with a 6 x 7 rollfilm back, and again used only one lens, a 47mm F8 SA for about another two years, which on 6 x 7 has a similar angle of view to the 90 on 4 x 5.
    Recently however i've again moved up to 4 x 5, and now i use all four my lenses (75, 90, 150, 300) quite regularly, although the 90 still leaves the camera bag most often!

I prefer one lens per camera, or I get too confused.

Razzle 5x4 - Fujinon 150/5,6
    Korona 5x4 - Dagor 180/6,8

My big problem at the moment is digital. I was using a 17-40mm lens on the Canon 40D. I decided to buy a 50/1,4 for the portraiture. I suddenly felt so limited by a narrow frame. It's taking some getting used to! I possibly should have chosen the 35/1,4 which is more like a 50mm on the cropped sensor, that way I have my 'normal' frame.

In fact some of my favourite cameras have fixed lenses.

I only shoot with one lens, the one lens I take out of the bag that is appropriate for the scene. Grin.

But seriously, I can shoot an entire day with a 135 mm lens on my Crown Graphic, and never wish for another.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html