Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Howtek 4500-Questions-Software, Comparisons, Etc.

Re: Howtek 4500-Questions-Software, Comparisons, Etc.

Could someone tell me if the transmissive image size is absolute? The image area of my 5x12 negatives is about 11.8", which is the specified maximum of many howtek drum scanners. But actual negative size is closer to 12"...So would I need a larger drum scanner to even fit the negative in a drum?

Also, is it a pain to mount long skinny negatives in a drum?

What made me look hard at a drum scanner after thinking an Epson Y750 would be good enough for 4x5 was some tests that show good general detail from high end flatbeds but poor shadow detail.

The more I looked at that the more it was obvious that the flatbeds were not really there for gradation into the dark areas.

I have a deal on a Scanview Scanmate 5000 pending and although it's going to be a pretty big hack I am pleased. Windose software and a SCSI card should do the trick. Anyone know anything about them? They seem to be fairly highly regarded.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Graham View Post
    But actual negative size is closer to 12"...So would I need a larger drum scanner to even fit the negative in a drum?
    Not sure the size of mine, I'm pretty sure I can do 11" on the longest side but others here would know better.

Also, is it a pain to mount long skinny negatives in a drum?
    They're a lot easier. I never get bubbles with 135 or 120, but with 4x5 and 8x10 it takes work to avoid long bubbles along the edges.

Thanks for the info Paul. I'm hoping to avoid the step in price and size of the larger drum scanners.

I appreciate that there are "mere mortals" here. I can't buy anything at the moment either... However, I think what is important is the truth of what the real difference is.

Philip Beaurline prepared this comparison and I decided to put it up on my site. I've contacted him for a bit more detail....

http://eigerstudios.com/scancompare.html

Take a look...

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Eiger View Post
    The V750 scan when sharpened doesn't look too shabby to me. Inferior for sure, but not the night and day some here make out.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Best View Post
    The V750 scan when sharpened doesn't look too shabby to me. Inferior for sure, but not the night and day some here make out.
    All depends on what one's definition of quality is.

Lenny
    EigerStudios

All depends on what one's definition of quality is.
    My reference is prints (compared to everything else I've seen). If there's a problem I attempt to fix it and, failing that, throw more money at it. Most people in the real world do the same. For the rest, there's pixel-peeping.

It should be said that I don't have a V750, nor intend buying one. But good luck to those that do and try and make it work for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Best View Post
    My reference is prints (compared to everything else I've seen). If there's a problem I attempt to fix it and, failing that, throw more money at it. Most people in the real world do the same. For the rest, there's pixel-peeping. snip - But good luck to those that do and try and make it work for them.
    Of course the reference is prints. But how does one compare? There are many that have made statements that they are happy with their prints from the consumer level scanners. I don't have a problem with this. However, there are a couple of questions when it comes to suggesting their path to others. The first is are they good printers, would they know the difference (no offense to anyone intended, just a general question)? The second is if they had a great scan and made a print from it, would they still be satisfied with the lesser scan?

I don't get a commission when someone buys a used drum on EBay. I'm just interested in being fair. If I were to ask if there was a difference between an inexpensive lens and a Leica lens - or a Planar 80, there wouldn't be any question. I fully understand the resistance to one more expensive thing we now have to pay for. I don't like it either. But just as there is a difference between that Leica lens and cheaper alternative, there is a difference in low end and high end scanners - and yes, in the print.

And I, too, wish everyone luck...

Lenny
    EigerStudios

Of course the reference is prints. But how does one compare? There are many that have made statements that they are happy with their prints from the consumer level scanners. I don't have a problem with this. However, there are a couple of questions when it comes to suggesting their path to others. The first is are they good printers, would they know the difference (no offense to anyone intended, just a general question)?
    I don't know about you but I regularly visit public and private galleries plus look at the work of the best photographers/printers in the country (mostly working in traditional/alternative media). I set my own standards, not against those posturing on the 'net.