Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ebony 45 owners - comments please?

Ebony 45 owners - comments please?

I am in the process of deciding which Ebony 45 to buy, for mainly (90%) landscape and 'fine art' B&W work, with some studio work required. I like working with wide-angle lenses but I don't want to restrict myself to just wide-angle and envisage using lenses between probably 47mm to around 400-500mm, maybe longer, in the future. I also want to be able to use my Sinar 6x12 zoom back and use a Horseman Bino reflex viewer (yet to purchase).

I have discounted the RW45, too limiting for wide-angle work, and the SW, too limiting for long lenses, and I have decided on the two which I think will best suit my needs, the SV45U or the SV45TE. I am leaning towards the SV45TE as this seems to be the most versatile, but the U series is tempting because of the asymmetrical rear tilts and swing. This has been useful to me in my studio work with Sinar cameras but would I get the same use of this feature in the field? Both cameras weight the same (2.7kg) and I believe the SV45U is non-folding and also costs about US$600 +/- more than the 45TE.

Are the extra asymmetrical rear tilts and swing features of the SV45U worth the extra dollars for mainly field use? Is having a non-folding camera more inconvenient when backpacking? Do they close up fairly small, are they protected enough from the elements, dust etc?

I'd appreciate any comments, good or bad, from users of these cameras and also from anyone who has used the Horseman 45 Bino refelx housing on the Ebony or other 45 cameras.

My problem is that it is impossible for me to get an Ebony to try out here in Australia and I must rely on advice from people who have experience with this product.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to reply.

Regards Peter Brown

I use the SV810U in field and studio, and find the asymmetric tilts _very_ convenient and practical for both field and portrait use. In the portrait setting, where time is often a factor, it can be the difference between using movements at all and just throwing up my hands. The Ebony cameras are all rigid, intelligently-designed and just plain beautiful, but I would go for the U-back if you have a choice.

Nathan

I use an Ebony SV45U and absolutely love it. Please see the review I wrote for it here on the Large Format page. I also use the Horseman VBinocular viewer and find it very convenient.

BTW, the SV45U is a folding camera.

Mike

Peter, I note you have eliminated the SW for its inconvenience with lenses longer then 180 (extension back required), which is fair enough. However I use the SW mainly for its ability with WA lenses, its so compact and sets up in an instant straight from the bag. I have the Ebony folding focusing hood attached at all times so picture taking is very convenient and quick, essential here in the UK when the light changes so quickly.

Like others have already said they are superbly built, a joy to use. If I was to start over again I would still choose the Ebony SW45. Best of luck,

Peter, I'm afraid I'm going to have to go along with Trevor on this one! Don't discount the SW, it really is a fabulous camera to use and is also really quick to set up being non-folding(invaluable if using it outside when the light is changing). If you are determined to use an Ebony then decide on the extremes of focal length that you are likely to use and then see what ebony offer to suit your needs. If you don't tend to use the longer focal lengths then the SW would be ideal (and you can always add the 452 back extender if necessary) BUT if money is no object then go for one of the SV range, or have a look at the non-folding 8x10!!!!!! Which ever Ebony you choose you WILL NOT be disappointed. Regards Paul

Hi Peter,

Great decision to look into Ebony. I've had an SV45U2 for almost a year, and it is absolutely wonderful. The Wisner I previously had is absolutely no comparison.

YES, by all means go with the asymmetric tilts. They are extremely convenient and easy to use in the field; I'm spoiled to the point that I wouldn't want to get by without them. I also use the Horseman bino reflex viewer; Ebony can modify one to fit the camera of your choice. Once again, I wouldn't like to go without it, but you'll still have to use a darkcloth on occasion (camera pointing down being a good example), so do take it along in your pack.

I use lenses from 47XL to 450mm, all with the "universal" bellows, and haven't felt a need to buy a bag bellows.

Regards, Danny Burk www.dannyburk.com

Peter,

More praise for the Ebony! Trevor and Paul are right about the RW's ability with wide lenses, however, if your going to be using long lenses, then I think the versatility of the SV wins out. My SV is quick and easy set up and holds steady at full bellows extension. Definitely, go with the asymmetrical swings and tilts. As Nathan noted, you won't employ the U back as often in the field as you do in the studio, but when you need it its an incredible tool! Whatever your decision though, you will NOT be disappointed. The material, design and workmanship of these cameras are supberb. Also, don't let the fact that you can't get your hands on an Ebony be a deterrent. I bought mine (with the U back) without ever having seen one in person, and have absolutly no regrets! Enjoy!

Thanks for all the above responses so far.

Miike, I got the SV45U mixed up with the 45SU and see that it is indeed a folding model - I've been reading too much info and now can't see the forest for the trees. I have read the archives and your review on the LF page, that's what swayed me towards the SV45U, but I was wondering whether the extra features offered, justify the extra cost over the non-U versions? From the above comments though, it appears the assymetrical tilt/swings are worth having and perhaps the extra few hundred dollars spent now on a versitle camera such as the SV45U will be worth it in the long run. I'm about ninety five and a half per cent convinced the SV45U is the right camera for me.

As far as the SW is concerned (this is my four and a half percent doubt), the smaller size, lighter weight and cheaper cost, are appealing, but I do intend using longer lenses. Could David, Paul or Trevor perhaps comment on the 452 extension back, it's usefulness, ease of use, with the extender what is the longest usable lens, how much extra does it cost, etc?

Could the extension back be used on the SV45U to increase the longer lens ability?

Now I just have to start figuring out the right lenses to get. . . . decisions . . . decisions.

Thanks a lot guys, Regards Peter

I am following this discussion close and one question that I'm still not sure of is will a short lens (47-65) fall into place vertically or does it have to be aligned using the bubble levels and GG im age? This is a concern for me as with a 47mm, it is very difficult to make a precise ajustment just by checking the GG. I also saw in the technical sheets that the U and U2 have different bellows length, both on the short and long side. Is one of the two best suited for a 47mm? Would the U require a bag bellows when the U2 would not? Thanks Peter for hosting my questions!

Peter, I don't use the 452 extender as the longest focal length lens I use is 180mm. But I understand that to use it you first remove the back from the SW using the 2 sliding tabs. The 452 is a wood (ebony) frame that slips into place and is secured with the 2 tabs. A bellows unit is fixed between the frame and your original back then clips to this. Sounds complicated but looks simple enough. I believe it allows you to use lenses up to 400mm focal length (but haven't got the exact details to hand). The bellows is supported on its frames with a sliding bar and may allow some degree of back movement (a la the now discontinued Wide 45) but again can't verify this at the moment!! AS for price!! I have seen one advertised in View Camera by a US dealer, and seem to remember it was priced at about $400. Sorry I can't be exact on some of the details. I would SERIOUSLY consider the SW, and combined with the 452 would offer a superb outfit, and at a cheaper price than other Ebony cameras (apart from the RW). Contact Robert White in the UK (robert@robertwhite.co.uk) and speak to the man himself! He really is a mine of information and can offer another slant/viewpoint on which is best. He initially advised me to look at the SW and although I looked at other makes I came back to his advice and am very happy. Buying cameras unseen, especially at ebony prices, sounds ridiculous to even contemplate! But listen to the advice, get him (robert) to fax/post you some literature, check out the ebony website (email them too as they are very helpful - no language barrier either) and buy mail order / unseen - you won't be disappointed!!! Regards