Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Xenotar 150mm f/2.8

Smile Xenotar 150mm f/2.8

Dear All, I need some help and advice.

I bought a super good conidition Xenotar serial no. 9021588 which has a diapham and custom made to fit a Hasselblad FE ( the model with shutter ) with a focusing tube. There are no compur shutter on it.

I've tried to take it apart and it's simple, the front element, the rear element and the diapham part is like a compur shutter but there is only the iris but not the shutter. which could all easily screw apart. I meant to use it on my 4x5 field Shen Hao, can anyone suggest how I could fit it to a shutter?

Do you think this is original a barrel lens and please suggest how I could trace the history/record of this lens.

Thank you very much in advance !! Have a nice weekend !

Chachahavana

Re: Xenotar 150mm f/2.8

The Xenotar 1:2.8/150mm was mounted in one of this shutters: Compound #II/5, Compur #2 and Compur#3. But only the last, Copal #3 will be produced today. So if your lens was produced for a Compur #3, you can mount it in a Copal #3. But if not you will need adapter rings etc. The dimensions for the Compound shutters you can find herehttp://www.largeformatphotography.in...63&postcount=1

Thank you very much Peter !!

Quote Originally Posted by chachahavana View Post
    Thank you very much Peter !!
    Once you get it mounted into a shutter then you will have to calibrate the aperture scales. You might just let a camera repairperson do the whole job at once.

Yes, that is another question that I have.

On copal 3 shutters, the largest aperture that I've seen is F/4.5, do they make one for f/2.8.

Thanks you !!

Quote Originally Posted by chachahavana View Post
    Yes, that is another question that I have.

On copal 3 shutters, the largest aperture that I've seen is F/4.5, do they make one for f/2.8.

Thanks you !!
    When you buy a new shutter the aperture scales are blank so you can calibrate them however your lens requires. The only reason that you have not seen one marked larger then .5 is that you have not seen one marked for a faster lens.

I have a copal 3s with f/4.5, when it is turn to f/4.5, it is fully opened already. If I screw the f/2.8 Xenota on it, can I get f/2.8 even though the marking is still at f/4.5 ?

Sorry I am a bit stupid with this, that's why I still couldn't figure out!

Thank you for the patience.

The aperture markings on a shutter are only valid for a specific lens focal length mounted in them. F2.8 on a 150mm requires a ~53.6mm opening. As long as the size of the opening is at least 53.6 you will get to 2.8.

Quote Originally Posted by Skorzen View Post
    The aperture markings on a shutter are only valid for a specific lens focal length mounted in them. F2.8 on a 150mm requires a ~53.6mm opening. As long as the size of the opening is at least 53.6 you will get to 2.8.
    53mm is the size of the entrance pupil, not the diameter of the mechanical aperture! The maximum aperture of a Copal #3 is 45mm, but the Compur #2 has only 35mm. And the Xenotar was also mounted in this shutter. So a #3 shutter will always fit.

As Bob mentioned before, the aperture scale has to engraved different for every lens. But this can also made "at home".

There http://www.largeformatphotography.in...aperture+scale #2 is a measuring method to determine the f/stops described by Emmanuel BIGLER. This methode was invented by August von Steinheil (1801 - 1870) but it works very well also today.
    Last edited by Peter K; 4-Oct-2008 at 11:02. Reason: link corrected

Hi friends

Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge on the shutter with me, I will give it a try !

cheers