Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stolen lenses and security

Stolen lenses and security

Should a lock box that is welded into the car or truck be considered a required accessory for photographers who travel? Do you take all of your lenses and equipment or just what you can afford to loose in an accident or theft? When you are out is your equipment safe at home?

Re: Stolen lenses and security

Shit happens -- insurance is a good thing. All my 5x7 kit was stolen from my truck on my way to Yosemite. I used the insurance money...plus another $1000 to bump up to 8x10.

The most painful thing I lost in that theft -- my notebook of past exposures, and my wool shirt I bought in New Zealand. I photocopy my notebooks now every once in a while. To add insult to the pain, the thieves obviously thought my framed print in the truck was not worth stealing...

Vaughn

I wanted to take some photo's at a fairground, the person I went with was very uncertain about leaving his dslr in the vehicle. We hid his camera, then drove around to a different area to another corner of the car park in case anybody tagged what we were doing.

He had a hiding place within his car that would be impossible to think of, a serviceable area. I simply pulled up the rubber mat and hid my camera under it in the passenger seat. At night the whole area was in shadow so the bulge wasn't obvious. We all have our levels of precaution.

When I travel and photograph and need to spend the night, I purposefully select a motel that has a parking place allowing me to park directly in front of my room and I unload my lenses and my cameras from my vehicle and physically put them in the room with me each and every time along with my .45 automatic pistol. Yes, it is a pain in the ass because I have some very heavy cameras, but I simpy cannot take the risk that my equipment could be stolen by some meth addict. I have stayed in some less than desirable motels because of this criteria but so far I have not been a victum of theft and I hope to keep it that way.

Insurance is important to have but I would rather not have to use it. As they say, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

I have heard horror stories of auto break ins and theft in remote areas of Utah and Arizona. You go on a guided tour and the person conducting the tour lets the thieves know that you are not going to be back for a number of days and his conspirators methodically steal you friggin blind. Nothing can be as humilating as having someone break into your house or automobile. If you don't think it can happen to you think again.

Insurance is only good for replaceable items. Where are you going to waltz in and buy a 24" Dagor or a 19" Series IV Dagor, or a mint Cooke Triple? Or a proven 14" Dagor or Double Anastigmat that you know covers 8x20 or 12x20? there are so many lenses and cameras that are simply not replaceable.

A friend has a safe welded or bolted in his van because he does do stuff overnight in locations, and it isn't a bad idea. They're not going to spend hours with a torch to get an uncertain return.

So install a safe then hide your stuff somewhere else...

Cheers,

Steve

On location I only take what I intend to carry, and it is with me at all times.

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

I prefer to photograph in seldom visited wilderness areas where few others go. If there's no one there to steal the lenses, it's less of a concern. Also, drive a beat up looking dirty car, and litter the backseat and floor with used coffee cups, fast food wrappers, junk mail, and other garbage. Rotting fruit and even the occasional meat left in the car will contribute an olfactory deterent. Using these tips, I've never had so much as a cable release ripped off in over a decade of photo trips...
    Brian Vuillemenot

Hopelessly Lost

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    When I travel and photograph and need to spend the night, I purposefully select a motel that has a parking place allowing me to park directly in front of my room and I unload my lenses and my cameras from my vehicle and physically put them in the room with me each and every time along with my .45 automatic pistol.
    I do the same thing but carry a .44

One of the best ways of preventing theft is to not look like a target. Therefore, don't flash your gear around when you don't have to. For example, don't get out to shoot something away from your car and leave your case open with all your shiny glass visible. Also, the beat up car trick works pretty good but if you look like you haven't showered for a week and are wearing shitty clothes, even better.
    www.hollisbennett.com

Huh? Oh, right, keep moving.

I have a large bag that I use for hiking that contains my 4x5 field camera, three lenses, ReadyLoader, film 6x17 back & ground glass, a DSLR and lens along with my meter and various other accessories. It stays by my side wherever I end up going. Stopping to eat at Waffle House? It comes in. Going to bed for the night? It comes into the hotel with me in bag. If it's with me, it stays within arms reach.

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    When I travel and photograph and need to spend the night, I purposefully select a motel that has a parking place allowing me to park directly in front of my room ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
    Michael, I have spent a few nights in fairly desolate locations where I was pehaps one of only 2 or 3 guests staying at the motel. In that situation, I was more comfortable with parking my car several rooms away so any "home" invasion thieves (and I read about just that in the area happening the previouis night) would be knocking on /breaking down the wrong door. Well now that we've put everybody off travelling and photographing...
    I also am not adverse to spending a bit more money and staying at a larger "name-brand" motel with security etc. given the chance and yes I too haul all my stuff into the room...and then worry about a room break-in or a careless maid forgetting to lock it when delivering towels while I'm out for dinner....

Quite nerve-wracking in Kansas once. I was with my wife and (at the time) 2 young sons. We were in a very small town in a very flimsy motel and all I could see on TV was news bulletins of how we were surrounded by tornados....