Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new version of GIMP is out

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

new version of GIMP is out

http://www.gimp.org/downloads/
    http://www.gimp.org/features/

Just down loaded and installed it, tried out a couple of things. Don't worry, I'm not read to abandon my copy of Photoshop Elements, but from what little I've used it, It seems to be an improvement over older versions.

I find it is faster and the interface is a bit easier to use. For some of you, might be worth a look.

joe
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?

Re: new version of GIMP is out

In fact, I had the older version of Gimpshop, and I reluctantly started using Elements (as it came free with the V700) but if it wasn't for GS not being compatible with the scanner/printer I have, I'd not have bothered to install elements. Thanks for the HU on new Gimp.

It seems to support ICC profiles.

Image > Mode > Assign Color Profile

Image > Mode > Convert to Color Profile

Now if it only let you work with 16-bit images, I would really consider using it, and take the time to explore it more deeply.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    It seems to support ICC profiles.

Image > Mode > Assign Color Profile

Image > Mode > Convert to Color Profile

Now if it only let you work with 16-bit images, I would really consider using it, and take the time to explore it more deeply.
    Agreed. Until it can support 16 bit files to work with, it's not ready for any serious work.

I took a look - makes me feel grumpy and miserable - but in time may be OK.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

According to the GIMP 2.6 Release Notes, there appears to be (optional) support for 32-bit floating point operations.

According to the section entitled GEGL:

"Important progress towards high bit-depth and non-destructive editing in GIMP has been made. Most color operations in GIMP are now ported to the powerful graph based image processing framework GEGL, meaning that the interal processing is being done in 32bit floating point linear light RGBA. By default the legacy 8bit code paths are still used, but a curious user can turn on the use of GEGL for the color operations with Colors / Use GEGL."

"In addition to porting color operations to GEGL, an experimental GEGL Operation tool has been added, found in the Tools menu. It enables applying GEGL operations to an image and it gives on-canvas previews of the results. "

I downloaded a copy, and when creating a new image, I did not see where one can specify anything other than Monochrome/RGB, and the size of the image. There is no mention of bit-depth per se... have I missed something ?

gimp's raw processing works with my Canon 40D files, and it is as accurate as DPP (Canon Bundled software) albeit slower to use. Thanks again for posting the link.

The latest version of GIMP is not available for Mac OS X yet. According to http://gimp.org/downloads/, only the 2.4.7 version is available.

In addition, you need to run GIMP, even the latest available version, under the X11 windowing system. It does not run as a native (Cocoa ?) app. It runs on a Mac, and is free. This much, you can't deny.

Sorry I thought 2.4.7 was the most up to date.

Ken,

That's talking about 32 bit processors not image bit depth.

-Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    According to the GIMP 2.6 Release Notes, there appears to be (optional) support for 32-bit floating point operations.

According to the section entitled GEGL:

"Important progress towards high bit-depth and non-destructive editing in GIMP has been made. Most color operations in GIMP are now ported to the powerful graph based image processing framework GEGL, meaning that the interal processing is being done in 32bit floating point linear light RGBA. By default the legacy 8bit code paths are still used, but a curious user can turn on the use of GEGL for the color operations with Colors / Use GEGL."

"In addition to porting color operations to GEGL, an experimental GEGL Operation tool has been added, found in the Tools menu. It enables applying GEGL operations to an image and it gives on-canvas previews of the results. "

I downloaded a copy, and when creating a new image, I did not see where one can specify anything other than Monochrome/RGB, and the size of the image. There is no mention of bit-depth per se... have I missed something ?