Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Forum Change Announcement

Re: Forum Change Announcement

I think that this is a really sad decision. For me, living where I do, I've always found it a facinating place to find the opinions of people in other countries (especially The U.S.A.). I might not agree with some of the opinions but I respect the rights of the posters to have them! The opinions posted are the opinions of intelligent people, morons don't do large format photography (in my experience they use camera phones and use U-Tube).The Lounge is not inflicted on those of us in the Large Format Community, we visit it by choice! So whats the problem?
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Westbrook View Post
    Our experiment with an unmoderated, any-topic-goes Lounge has largely failed. After a lot of discussion among the moderators, we've concluded that it is in the best long-term interest of the forum to "outlaw" discussions of politics and religion, either as thread starters or within posts/responses, anywhere on the forum, including the Lounge. The Lounge will remain for discussions on non-LF, but preferably photography-related, discussions and general socializing. Also, just to be clear, the same standards of behavior described in the guidelines will apply to The Lounge.

Depending on the nature of the post, members who violate the no-politics/religion rule anywhere on the forum will be warned, and the post/thread deleted. Repeated violations will result in suspension of that person's posting privileges, potentially on a permanent basis, at the discretion of the moderators.

Additionally, it appears that several members have registered multiple user IDs, at least in part to augment Lounge discussions or positions elsewhere on the forum. Multiple-ID registrations will not be tolerated and persons found to have done so, and continue to use them, will be permanently banned at the discretion of the moderators. If you have one or more secondary IDs not approved by the moderators in advance, let us know immediately so we can close the secondary accounts without penalty.

--The Moderator Team
    Since it is easy enough to block the Lounge, which I do, I don't understand the reason for the moderation of that forum. People are free to participate or not to participate as they wish.

If an individual becomes egregiously abusive then just ban the SOB!

Just my 2 cents,

Don Bryant

I think it would have made better sense to have two Lounges...one for Political and Religious debates, and one for everything else.

I put the Lounge on ignore, which was great -- but did miss the opportunity to see what else was going on in there besides the P&R debates.

Vaughn

Eric Biggerstaff

I think the moderators made a difficult but wise choice.

There are many other forums and blogs that deal with politics and religion so if anyone really wants to follow these topics then there is no shortage of places to do so.

While I have not been on the Lounge in a very long time, what I notice is that at times, hurt feelings and bruised egos spill over onto other LF related posts. As members of this forum, we all are connected to what goes on in the Lounge, even if we don't post there.

I am happy the Lounge will stay and we can post items to it as long as the posts are not political or religous in nature. It will still be a place that we can express ideas and opinions and ,with the new restrictions, I might even begin checking it out once in a while.

Good call to the moderators and to QT.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

I am concerned that by trying to make the job easier for the moderators,which I am pretty sure it is one of the goals of this decision, the decision itself might prove to achieve just the opposite.
    Politics is so ingrained in our existence and spilling on many topics that it will require a substantial amount of attention from the moderators side in order to have the new regulations followed by the members of the forum.

When someone will be posting somethng about Photographer's Rights how will the moderators handle it when the discussion will inevitably turn toward some names of political figures involved in legislations etc.?

Moreover, Art throughout history has been one of the most critical voices of the establishment be it religious or political.
    Is this forum exclusively for guy and gals with big cameras or also for Art?

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I think it would have made better sense to have two Lounges...one for Political and Religious debates, and one for everything else.
    Like ... a lounge and a back alley

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    It's too bad. For me the value of the lounge is that this place becomes a community, and it's natural to become interested in the ideas of others in your community, including ones that have nothing to do with photography.

It's also natural for some people to be completely uninterested anyting off topic. I don't see what's wrong with an unmoderated area. You're free to enter, and you're free to stay away.

Anyone who disagrees with this will be struck down immediately, where they stand, by the LORD!
    I was going to post something in disagreement, but as I was typing clouds began to form in my office and it was evident that the Lord! was preparing to rain fire and brimstone down on me But I digress...

Pete Watkins hit on an important topic. You have to have a certain character to be interested in or actively participate in large format photography. This interest might be artistic, scientific or combination of both, but it is this commonality that made some of the discussions in the old lounge so interesting. I think the biggest misstep in the decision making process of the moderators on this was not to include a public discussion on the topic before a decisions was made. Obviously the opinions on the issue are quite varied, but in the end this is a decision to be made by those running this fantastic forum. I respect that decision. I would only ask that in the future we have a more open discussion on topics of this sort if possible.
    Will Wilson
    www.willwilson.com

No matter what we all think, this forum is owned by someone, who chooses to run this place in a certain way.

The Lounge area became a very ugly place.

Keep in mind this is a photography website, and the description of the lounge is now very clear....
    "Area for off-topic (non-LF, but preferably photography-related) discussion and socializing"

So get over it. If it's bugging you that much, take it to photo.net or some place else.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by davidb View Post
    So get over it. If it's bugging you that much, take it to photo.net or some place else.
    LF Forum: Love it or Leave it?

I thought maybe the owners would be interested in how the peasants felt.

That's exactly what I am saying.

You're not paying to be here. Anyone can be a member.

And everyone is getting upset about something that has nothing to do with the purpose of this place.