Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Thorny problem I can’t solve.

Re: Thorny problem I can’t solve.

Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    Sorry to be so harsh...but...I didn't know how else to put it. If you are in the SF Bay area or up near Sonora, CA I would be happy to meet with you and we can work through some actual examples...and shoot some!
    Not harsh at all......I appreciate the advice.

"It is your technique" is the right answer. It's also the easiest and cheapest problem to solve!

I live in Danville in the East Bay and would enjoy working through some metering examples.

PM sent.

Mark,

If I am reading the above (kind of confusing) exchange correctly, you are adding three stops or more to your meter reading to get a correctly exposed negative. You are doing this from experience, since exposing at the metered reading is way underexposed.

If the above is correct, you may be loading your film emulsion-side down in the holders. This would take a lot more light (3+ stops over the metered reading) to expose properly. Do check this. The code notch on the sheet should be in the upper-right corner when the emulsion is facing you. This side of the sheet should face the lens (i.e. this is the side facing up in the holder).

Let us know how you get on.

Doremus Scudder

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    Mark,

If the above is correct, you may be loading your film emulsion-side down in the holders. This would take a lot more light (3+ stops over the metered reading) to expose properly. Do check this. The code notch on the sheet should be in the upper-right corner when the emulsion is facing you. This side of the sheet should face the lens (i.e. this is the side facing up in the holder).

Let us know how you get on.

Doremus Scudder
    Good thought, but he's using Readyloads, although not for long.

Richard M. Coda

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sloane View Post
    ic,

I'm reading between the lines here a little perhaps but are you suggesting that each combination of lens/shutter/film should have it's own EI with the same meter?
    That is correct. Sometimes you get lucky and you will end up with the same EI for some lenses/films.
    Photographs by Richard M. Coda
    my blog
    Primordial: 2010 - Photographs of the Arizona Monsoon
    "Speak softly and carry an 8x10"
    "I shoot a HYBRID - Arca/Canham 11x14"

Doremus,

Jay is correct, I use readyloads and I rechecked the diagrams on the box to make sure I was loading them correctly. I wish that was the problem.

It seems from Richard's post that I need to develop an EI for each lens which I haven't done. Is this because of the variance in shutter speeds?

Can the aperture blades get out of adjustment too? If so I would imagine the entire range of aperture settings will be out by the same amount?

So……If I am 3 to 4 stops + with my 150mm and 210mm, go out and shoot my 90mm and 300mm with the same settings and narrow it down exposure after exposure until I get a correct EI for each lens?

Wow….what a pain in the butt! I don’t have a darkroom in my house. I have to go to a lab 30 minutes away on Monday nights to have access to a darkroom.

Jay….Is Kodak doing away with readyloads?

It seems from Richard's post that I need to develop an EI for each lens which I haven't done. Is this because of the variance in shutter speeds?
    No. Between the performance of modern shutters and the latitude of print film, normally there should be no need to do this.

Can the aperture blades get out of adjustment too? If so I would imagine the entire range of aperture settings will be out by the same amount?
    Again, not something you should usually have to worry about.

Is Kodak doing away with readyloads?
    Yes, they've been discontinued - they were assembled by Polaroid which is shutting down, and it wasn't cost-effective for Kodak to reestablish production somewhere else.

Mark, the likeliest bet is that this is a matter of metering technique. If you have a chance to catch up with Brad or someone else and do a few exercises together, that ought to go a long way toward sorting this out. Good luck!

Thanks Oren,

I will try to spend some time w/ Brad next week if he is available. I have his phone number.

Mark,

I might have missed it, but have you discussed your processing? Choice of developer and degree of development will have a lot to do with the results. One thing to look for is in the shadows. Are they nonexistent with the "underexposed" negatives or are they just really thin and somewhat relational to the over all density?

What type of lab are you using? Is it at school? Many schools have their students reuse the chemistry to a certain point which is seldom closely monitored. In other words, the chemistry could be close to exhausted. Who is mixing the chemistry? Are you processing for the wrong ratio without knowing about it?

One more thing. I found your post about development. You say you develop the film in T-Max developer. Is it T-Max or T-Max RS? The two developers are not the same. I seem to recall Kodak not recommending the T-Max developer with sheet films. If it's RS, then the times for rotary tubes sound about right considering reciprocity (Kodak has 7 1/4 minutes at 70 degrees) or at least not so far off as to produce the results you are getting.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Benskin View Post
    Mark,

I might have missed it, but have you discussed your processing? Choice of developer and degree of development will have a lot to do with the results. One thing to look for is in the shadows. Are they nonexistent with the "underexposed" negatives or are they just really thin and somewhat relational to the over all density?

What type of lab are you using? Is it at school? Many schools have their students reuse the chemistry to a certain point which is seldom closely monitored. In other words, the chemistry could be close to exhausted. Who is mixing the chemistry? Are you processing for the wrong ratio without knowing about it?

One more thing. I found your post about development. You say you develop the film in T-Max developer. Is it T-Max or T-Max RS? The two developers are not the same. I seem to recall Kodak not recommending the T-Max developer with sheet films. If it's RS, then the times for rotary tubes sound about right considering reciprocity (Kodak has 7 1/4 minutes at 70 degrees) or at least not so far off as to produce the results you are getting.
    Stephen,

Thanks for the info. I go to a darkroom on Monday night and pay $5 an hour to develop film and make prints. My film, my paper, their chemicals.

I will check for what kind of tmax developer. We do not reuse the developer and I mix the ratios. We do reuse the stop bath, fixer and wash aid.

I didn’t think it was the developing process because I use Tmax for 35mm and process it the same way w/excellent results.

I will print your post and take it to the lab with me. The lab technicians are terrific and always willing to help.

I tend to agree with the other posters that it must be my technique but every bit of info helps…..thanks