Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alternative Process Darkroom

Re: Alternative Process Darkroom

Even if you are not working in the kitchen etc, it is always a good idea when handling larger quantities of chemicals ( like say when you are mixing up the metal salts), to have some form of additional containment in event of a spill.

Take a walk through a department store for some suitable plastic storage containers. It may take a while to find something with a flat bottom. You should also be able to find something larger to serve as secondary containment for trays.

I suspect you must already be doing something like that for negs in you kitchen.

As people have said you space does not need to be anywhere near dark for alt.

David Schaller

I used the sun, and then my kitchen, for POP, Cyanotype and Pt/Pd. Of course, I was single at the time....
    Good luck,
    Dave

Scott Davis

You can get by with room light when coating (as long as it isn't a UV rich light souce like most fluorescent tubes). You also need a contact frame, a Richeson 9010 "magic brush" (one per process, please - the iron-based processes don't mix well with the noble-metal processes), and I highly recommend a dedicated UV light source for consistency. You can get by with a single tray the largest size you plan to print, but multiple trays are better. I use a large sheet of glass on top of my work area for where I coat my paper and mix chemicals, to keep underneath clean, and to have a smooth flat surface on which to coat my paper.

For the UV light source, the "box" described above is an easy thing to make. I found blacklight fluorescent fixtures at Home Depot for about $20 USD. I have them on the bottom of an IKEA Ivar shelf, but if you make the box, it will be portable.

From Australia, I don't know what the shipping costs will be, but I can highly recommend Bostick & Sullivan for pt/pd and other alt process supplies - they are usually cheaper than Photographers Formulary. I think their chemicals are of higher quality - I've had bottles of B&S FeOx last well over a year in solution.