Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weighting Edges of Darkcloth

Weighting Edges of Darkcloth

Greetings.... I'm making a darkcloth or two. The only issue is how to weight t he ends or edges. The best-sounding suggestion I've heard is to use brass bead chains. Can't find 'em though. Have tried numerous fabric stores, hobby shops, even a couple curtain wholesalers. Anybody know where to find such a thing? - jeff buckels (albuquerque)

Brass bead chains like those pull cords found on old timely lamps or dog tags? Maybe an Army Surplus store would have them. Doesn't sound as if it would be heavy enough. You can buy drapery weights and sew them into the 4 corners of the dark cloth to weight it down. Mine have worked well for about 20 years.

If you're not a fishman, go to the local tire store, where you'll find a bucket of all shapes and sizes of weights they've taken off tires, take 4 that suit you. Now if you're in California, you must comply with Proposition 65 since lead is carcinogenic. Be sure to print a warning on your darkcloth that says:

This photographer is utilizing substances known to the State of California to cause cancer.

When I made my darkcloth I used fishing lead that comes in rolled strips of various thickness. It is soft lead used to twist around the fishing line and is easily found at Walmart etc. I have found that one piece about 6" long sewn into the hem of the corners works well and doesn't damage the groundglass as it is long and rather soft. But I also use velco closures at the bottom edge and that also helps control wind problems at the camera end of darkcloth.

I went to the hardware store and bought some large washer's and my wife sewed them into the corner of my darkclothe, two to each corner, if the wind blows them hard enought to make them fly high enought to hit the camera, it is past time to pack up. Pat

Jeff, I cut the small weights from the corners of my cloth after almost taking my eye out when the wind whipped the cloth around my head! Replaced them with a few strips of velcro and have had better success - still got two eyes! Paul

I made my darkcloth out of an old black t-shirt. I cut off one arm of the shirt, and then cut the shirt open on that side. In use, simply put the shirt over your head as normal, except that the inside is out, and the remaining sleeve in the back. In use, simply pull the shirt over your head and cover the camera. Use velcro to close the shirt under the camera. Now you have a darkcloth that will not fly in the wind, since it is connected both to the camera, and to your neck. In addition, when not in use, simply wear it over your sholders.

Jeff, I agree with Tryti. For 8x10 I use a black tshirt where the waist part of it fits nice and tight around the camera (med sized tshirt). My head goes into the hole for the head and my arms fit into the arm holes. Essentially you are wearing the t-shirt through its head. This can be modified a bit by inserting an elastic around the waist part of the shirt to snugly fit around the camera body. This may seem silly, but it blocks out all the light completely without having to take a large cloth. The loupe stays inside the t-shirt throughout the entire time.

Since I've started with the t-shirt, I don't use my my darkcloth anymore.

Jeff: I gotta agree that the weighted corners can be a bit risky in the wind. Mine didn't hit me in the eye or break the ground glass, but I got a nice lump on my forehead. No more weighted cloth for me. Incidentally, it wasn't a sustained wind, just a quick gust that was here and gone. If you want to weight it, try a roll of solid core solder sewn into the length of the seam. It is easier to just use hook and loop fastener tape or clips. I still haven't tried the black T-shirt, but it sounds like a good idea.

Regards,

Boy, what a response! Guess I hit us where we live this time! -jeff buckels