Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: LF in the movies

Re: LF in the movies

"Compulsion", 1959 film directed by Richard Fleischer starring Orsen Wells, Bradfor Dillman and Dean Stockwell (of Quantum Leap fame, and the film Blue Velvet). Orsen Wells plays their defence lawyer.
    There is a scene with plenty of photographers with LF cameras and flashes that go boom with lots of smoke.

Just saw "Charlie Varrick" The police and a hit man chase a petty thief and his partner for robbing a mob bank. With Walter Matthau, Joe Don Baker, Felicia Farr, Andy Robinson, John Vernon
    He goes for passport picture and a red bellows Orbit is used.
    My first LF camera. haha

The newly released director's cut of Gods and Generals includes several scenes with wetplate photographer Rob Gibson of Gettysburg. He is occasionally seen in the background with crowds lugging his camera, but there is one scene lasting a few moments where he has a portrait session with Stonewall Jackson.

The camera used in the scene with Jackson is, I believe, the one from his Gettysburg studio. The lens on this camera, from the Civil War era, is truly amazing. I wass astounded with its sharpness and brightness for focusing.
    Last edited by Bill McMannis; 26-Jul-2011 at 19:44. Reason: typos
    Bill McMannis

Mentioned earlier, Funny Face is a fantastic film with large format cameras in many scenes. The number they do in the darkroom is one of the most beautiful I've seen.

http://youtu.be/PI0ZHQON_IQ

I recently watched The Wire (all 5 seasons in one week) and I was shocked to see surveilance done with a Nikon F2 in 2003! They don't switch to digital until the 4th season I believe.
    You can see a view camera (cambo/calumet?) in the back everytime they go into the forensics lab. Just laying there.

Speed graphics are in tons of movies. For some reason the flash bulbs always make noise. I don't remember the few flash bulbs I've used making that noise, only blinding light.

I love the scene from "The Aviator" where all the spent flash bulbs are crunching under their feet.

Large Format Rocks ImSoNegative's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GhoSStrider View Post
    There's a Speed Graphic in "Coal Miner's Daughter" (and if I recall correctly, they forgot to pull the darkslide before taking the picture!).

There's also a large format camera used at the end of "The Blue and the Gray."
    in coal miners daughter i remember that scene, i rewound it to see it again and sure enough he did not pull the dark slide out
    "WOW! Now thats a big camera. By the way, how many megapixels is that thing?"

In "Funny Face" I noticed he developed the print, face down, for about 10 seconds, after what seemed like a mighty long exposure. Magic how that works in Hollywood!

Analog Photographer Kimberly Anderson's Avatar

Shawshank Redemption has a scene with a press camera after the warden commits suicide. They hold up Andy Dufraine's soiled prison jumpsuit and a man with a press camera takes a picture. Funny thing though, his camera has a red/maroon bellows.

A very ripped and fit Charles Bronson in the 1950's series "Man With a Camera" -- photographer who solves crimes with his Speed Graphic and darkroom in the trunk of his car. He also uses hidden cameras and a 35mm camera (I think it was an Argus) which attaches to his belt on a holster. Can't get more manly-man than that! (Yes, I'm brining back this thread because I found the series on Hulu and am enjoying it -- he does everything right and even knows how to shuffle a Grafmatic!)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Charles_Bronson_Man_With_a_Camera_1959.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	81929

How about a reality show instead. On several of the older episodes of Pawn Stars, there is a Graphic view on a tripod way in the background of the scenes. I called them about it and was told they wanted $850.00 for it with a lens they could not identify and which they couldn't figure (even with my verbal help) how to check and see if the shutter worked or if the glass was clear. Some reality....their version anyway.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg