Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Desert hikes - color film : keeping cool

Re: Desrt hikes - color film : keeping cool

Pretty much all I do is desert hikes and I've never even tried to keep film cold, be it at home or in the field. I've never had any problems either. By the way, you won't be experiencing any 100 degree days in Escalante in mid October. In fact, if you get above the mid 80's, you'll be breaking records!

Adam

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

If the film warms up for a few days, it doesn't matter. I did a two week trip through Arizona, Joshua Tree, and Death Valley in August a few years ago (definately NOT the time to go, by the way). Although the temps were well into the triple digits every day, I kept my film in the trunk most of the time with no protection against the heat. There were absolutly no effects to the film.
    Brian Vuillemenot

Covering your pack with a silver rain cover will help keep your entire pack cooler. I have one for mine that I bought years ago. The interior of my pack was about 10 to 15 degrees cooler then the ambient air. The aluminum plastic foil that readyloads are stored in also will reflect any radiant heat and further keeping your film cooler.

Geos

My desert hikes have all been just day hikes, but all were in summer, with temps as high as 117 F in the shade (Death Valley). I took about a five hour hike, with 8x10, up to delicate arch and return and had no problems.

My longest summer/desert hike was about six hours (holy crap) to see and photograph the Great Gallery, which is five miles down the already remote Horseshoe Canyon. Supposedly, school children do this as a field trip when the weather is cool. But, when its hot, it's really hot. I used about 6 liters of water on this hike. They say a gallon of water per person per day, for desert travel. I don't think that's enough.

Anyway, even before, during, and after these hikes, I've had film in a hot vehicle. My longest summer/desert trip was two weeks, with who knows how many hours some of my film was baking away in the vehicle with no problems.

In the hay days of film based astrophotography, they used to bake film to hyper sensitize it, with little to no effect.

Re: Desert hikes - color film : keeping cool

Quote Originally Posted by gevalia View Post
    Okay guys,

So...all you desert hikers out there, how do you keep your color LF film cool on long hikes? I'll be hiking a few places our around Escalante UT in mid-October. It get up to 100 during the day. I'll be doing a few overnights (just 1 night at a time) in some of the canyons and I'm wondering how you guys keep your film from fogging. Most of my shooting will be B&W (4x5 sheet) but I will be taking some color quickloads along.
    I've done a fair bit of photography in the Australian desert, and never bothered to worry about keeping any of my film cool - and I shoot strictly Velvia. My last trip there was camping for a little over a week - no problems at all.

I have been out in the Escalante area for the past 7 years in October and have never seen 100 degree temps, maybe the 80's and even that is high. I'll be doing a 4 or 5 day trip through Coyote Gulch this October 12th or 13th and the film will just get put in the pack with everything else. I'm not too concerned with the heat on my film at that time of year, I'll be more concerned with the weight of my pack on my back! Mid October is just a perfect time for this area. You can't go wrong in the Escalante area. Enjoy it. Jim
    Last edited by Jim Becia; 16-Sep-2008 at 04:58. Reason: spelling

Ron Miller

Jim,

I may just see you in Coyote Gulch. I'll be there about that time as well.

Ya, just get a soft sided thermal (cooler), I normally carry my film holders in one to begin with & being soft sided, you can pack it in your back pack or usually having a strap, you can carry it with the camera when you are doing some shooting. wrapping from pack with a thermal blanket (plastic/foil sheet) sounds like an excellent idea as well . . also called an emergency blanket that folds into a small square carried on your person but can be used when separated from your equipment.
    PS: Also good for temporary shade if you get those that have one-side foil (shiny) and one side that is coated with thermal plastic insulator.
    Last edited by Clay Turtle; 22-Sep-2008 at 18:53. Reason: PS

I've many rafting trips down the Green, San Juan and Colorado with 8x10 Velvia sheet film with temperatures as high as 110. Kept the film in foam lined ammo boxes painted white (holders and film boxes). While I didn't put them out in the sun to bake at extra high temperatures, they were at ambient 110 during some days, lower other days. Saw no issues with the film. Other holders were in the backpack without any protection. no problems.

I wouldn't obsess about it. You're now in the cool season. If you want to keep film cool day-to-day, get a 12V powered cooler and keep film in it in you car (just don't drain your battery). For a day's work, you won't notice the difference in color response for the film.