Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Desert hikes - color film : keeping cool

Ron Miller

Desert hikes - color film : keeping cool

Okay guys,

So...all you desert hikers out there, how do you keep your color LF film cool on long hikes? I'll be hiking a few places our around Escalante UT in mid-October. It get up to 100 during the day. I'll be doing a few overnights (just 1 night at a time) in some of the canyons and I'm wondering how you guys keep your film from fogging. Most of my shooting will be B&W (4x5 sheet) but I will be taking some color quickloads along.
    Last edited by Kirk Gittings; 15-Sep-2008 at 21:10.

Re: Desrt hikes - color film : keeping cool

I think a lot of people use coolers.

You could use the soft bag type, or the hard plastic type depending on the trip. Size varies with contents.

while Im sure that keeping film cool is the optimum way to operate, I have done several day trips into the desert and have managed to keep color transparency film viable just storing it in my pack and making sure that it doesnt get exposed to temps any hotter than the ambient outside temps. I then develop everything as soon as possible when returning home. Film is quite a bit more robust than people give it credit for. I havent had any problems in up to 105 F for several days.

Ron Miller

Thanks Eric. Looks like I have 30 lbs in the backpack already and I'd hate to lug around much more out there. It was a little hot last year.

Geos

Since I do most of my travel via air, I carry soft coolers in my luggage. I keep the film in them as much as possible except when I'm shooting or hiking. Last summer (June) I spent time in southern Utah, without any film problems.

Ron Miller

George,

But were they short day hikes or extended multi-day hikes where there could be a few days where 8 hours are at 100 and above?

That is the frame of reference.

Terence

While backpacking, I just put whatever film I'm not using that day in my pack, wrapped inside the sweatshirt I use at night when the temp drops. I've spent five days in 100+ daytime temps with no problems whatsoever. I wish I could say the same about myself . . .

Quote Originally Posted by gevalia View Post
    George,

But were they short day hikes or extended multi-day hikes where there could be a few days where 8 hours are at 100 and above?

That is the frame of reference.
    For short multi-day hikes just keep the film and film holders out of the direct sun. You shouldn't have any problems with film spoilage.

I've done the same here in the SE US and places like Death Valley.

The idea of lugging a cooler about just isn't practical nor needed in my experience.

Don Bryant

If modern films were overly sensitive to heat, they couldn't be shipped from the manufacturers to the retailers to the end user, and still be good. It is "long-term" storage of films that one needs to be concerned about heat and humidity.

I just processed some C41 from 1995 that looks fine. I think high humidity and 150 degrees might start to mess with it, but as long as you keep away from your camp stove you can't hurt it.