Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting an handle on my Crown Graphic

Getting an handle on my Crown Graphic

I have been thoroughly enjoying wandering about shooting my new used Graphic. It is fun, and I like the results. However, it would be really nice to have a good grip with the right hand. Short of purchasing a flash (kinda ugly headless among other things), has anyone one bought/made clever solutions?

Re: Getting an handle on my Crown Graphic

I did the Linhof Grip on mine, it's bulky and some people hate them, but I think they are awesome. But they cost as much as the camera... Take the bellows off before you drill the holes ;-)

PS that is a 135 Xenotar and yes, it will fold inside. Now why did I sell that camera again!? Hmmm...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails crown.jpg  
    Last edited by Frank Petronio; 27-Oct-2008 at 14:42.

Frank, that makes me want a Graphic again!

The standard strap will fit on your Graphic flash bracket, though you would find it awfully short and hard to fit your hand through. You would have to punch some holes to shorten it up, too. You could get a pair of strap brackets and a strap for the right side. You could get an extra pair of flash clamps and put them on a dowel or piece of plastic pipe or something of the right diameter. There is a Linhof right hand grip but they're less common than the left grip and expensive. Linhof grips take some getting used to. The least expensive and easiest to do, I think, would be the Graflite brackets and a dowel. If you have a Graflite flash, you have the brackets. It only takes a minute to remove/replace them. I find having the flash on the camera provides a nice natural feeling grip. With the dowel arrangement you get that nice grip and you can mount a modern shoe on top, to boot. You can drill it for a cable release, too.
    Last edited by Glenn Thoreson; 27-Oct-2008 at 14:43. Reason: Duh!!!

The left hand grip makes it easier to insert holders like WeeGee, rapid fire!

I have a left hand Linhof grip on my speed; love it!

I have a Linhof left hand grip on one of my 2X3 Speeds. The forward/ backward rotational angles don't quite agree with my beat up old wrists, but I do like it.

I hadn't considered the interference on the right side from a handle. Once of the things I am liking on the graphmatic's is shooting with the slide in, which helps.

I think I shall have to experiment a bit. I'll scrounge the forums and the bay from some flash mounting hardware...

I took the original hand strap off my Speed Graphic because it was falling apart. I replaced it with a black leather dog collar. Very cheap , but sturdy as heck. Although I never shoot hand holding this camera, the dog collar sure makes it feel secure when carrying it around.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete_6109 View Post
    I took the original hand strap off my Speed Graphic because it was falling apart. I replaced it with a black leather dog collar. Very cheap , but sturdy as heck. Although I never shoot hand holding this camera, the dog collar sure makes it feel secure when carrying it around.
    Pete, your camera is a beauty. She definitely has the right curves. Have you named her yet?