Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Da-Yi and Shen-Hao 6x12 film backs....any good?

Da-Yi and Shen-Hao 6x12 film backs....any good?

So I have been looking at these roll backs for a while but have always felt a bit hesitant about investing in one.

Has anyone ever used one?

My main concern is how well they hold film flat when using them in full 6x12 format and if the roller or advance system buckles film if it sits in them for a while.

Any advice would be appreciated

Re: Da-Yi and Shen-Hao 6x12 film backs....any good?

I purchased one of these about a month ago and am using it with a Crown Graphic. I've put about 10 rolls through it but have only processed 5 of them. So far, I haven't seen anything to indicate that the film isn't being held flat, but I haven't examined the exposures critically.

The one thing that I noticed, and this may only be specific to my use with an older, worn out Crown, is that the plane of focus as shown on the ground glass is different from what I get on the film, so I need to rack the lens closer to the back by about a millimeter after focusing with the ground glass.

So far, I'm generally pleased but I think it will take about another month or so for me to have a firmer opinion.

Thanks, its good to hear that there is nothing obviously flawed with the back.

I've heard that some of this Chinese stuff is actually pretty good but I've also heard some can be absolute rubbish.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has had the focal plane problem. I plan to buy one in about 3 weeks time so if I have the same problem on my Toyo 45a I'll let you know.

I have use a 6x17 Da-Yi back on a 4x5 field camera. It was very well built and worked perfectly well. No film flatness problems at all.

The advantage was the special ground glass unit that came with it, so I did not focus on the "normal" camera gg, but had to mount the 6x17 gg unit instead of the camera back before composing and focusing. No focal plane problem. The film was not buckled by the rollers etc. even if I left the film in the back for a while before finishing it.

The backdraws were the added bulk/weight and the fact that you had to mount and dismount the parts before/after each new composition.

The 6x12 backs are quite inexpensive, so I would give it a try if I were you.

I had one of the original shen-hao 6x12's and had the focal plane issue that i failed to confirm for quite a while since i didn't have an enlarger. I then measured the depth and the film plane was not right. It also leaked light if you pulled the dark slide out fully. I returned it for the newer model that doesn't have those issues.

I've had the DaYi 6x12cm holder for some time (>6months) and have been generally content with it. Have not had any issue with film flatness, only minor light reflection when in certain relation to strong light source (causing a brighter line some 3-4mm from one edge, nothing disastrous). It worked well.

But I have since sold it, because I was not using it. When I bought it, it was to shoot color. Since then I have almost stopped shooting color, and for the times I want to have a color shot, I have a rather large stack of sheets to use...

Here are 2 shots with MPP MicroTechnical Mk.VII, DaYi 6×12cm roll back, first one with Xenar 135mm, second one with Angulon 90mm f:6.8.

Jiri Vasina
    www.vasina.net

@ Google+ | @ Facebook | @ flickr

My books @ Blurb (only heavily outdated "Serene Landscape").

I've been using the Da-Yi 6x12 for over a month and have nothing to complain about. Very solidly built and well thought out as far as I can see, though this is the first roll film adapter I've used. No problems so far with the 25+ rolls I have run through it.

I haven't used the masks for smaller formats with it, and probably never will.

I've had the Da-Yi 6x17 back for a couple of years and while I don't use it an awful lot, I've had no problems with it the times I have. I have misplaced the masks for 6x9 and 6x12 though.

When I was selling the back, I also had hard time finding the masks for 6x6cm and 6x9cm formats - have never used them in the back.

Would I recommend it? Yes. See above.
    Jiri Vasina
    www.vasina.net

@ Google+ | @ Facebook | @ flickr

My books @ Blurb (only heavily outdated "Serene Landscape").

I have the DAYI back and use it for 6x17 shots. It has been perfectly reliable for me. Focus is dead-on and film flatness is excellent. 4000dpi drum scans with 6x17 images on 120 film are slightly sharper, including edge to edge, than 4x5 images. A few photographs taken with this back can be found here: http://www.brettdeacon.com/gallery.p...=6x17Panoramas. I especially appreciate that the DAYI back is built like a tank and is the one piece of photographic hardware I don't have to worry about babying in the field. For the price these backs are a real bargain.