Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: LFinfo deteriorating??

Re: LFinfo deteriorating??

I don't read,and am not tempted by the Lounge. It is not necessary for me to place it under "Ignore".
    I look in the left column briefly to see if there happens to be an itme for sal in which I am interested. Otherwise I don't open that section either.

I don't want to make this about me but since my name has been brought up perhaps some clarification is in order.

First, I am delighted that the lounge has bee eliminated. I regret participating in the discussions there, not because I shy from pointed discussions but because the norm in the lounge was a lack of respect by some for the political opinions of others. This is not 100% of course. Some of the people who contributed to the lounge were very respectful of differences of opinion. And a major point was touched by Sal Santamaura, when he wrote: "While no great expert or authority, my decision whether or not to assist members of this community outside The Lounge is influenced by their character. There are those who have demonstrated in The Lounge that they're not worth a single keystroke in other LF Photography Forum categories."

Second, I am still a member of the LF forum and have not made a conscious decision to not participate here in the future. But for the time being, and for a variety of reasons, including travel (I just returned from a month of travel in southwest and central China), workshops and other personal commitments, I have decided to curtail my responses on the LF forum. That said, now that the Lounge has been eliminated I am definitely more inclined to renew my participation here.

Sandy King

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Hey I'm all for sh*t-canning the lounge, it's 99% a bunch of stinking liberals anyway and they should be stifled if not shot.

But I just don't understand how the lounge affects you if you don't chose to participate? The few times I've gotten into -- for a few sessions every few months, afterwhich I leave out of exasperation -- I've been there out of my own free will and stupidity.

If you don't like it, just don't go.

I don't know any details about Sandy and the lounge, but I do know Sandy is a good contributor. But if he chooses to get embroiled in some flame war, he's an adult who can make his own decisions. It's easy enough to walk away. If the animosity pours over into the regular forums, then yes, I agree, the offending parties ought to be slapped.

All I know is that when I have been in the lounge I get railed upon by the majority, opinion-wise. But outside the lounge 99% of those same flaming pinkos are sweet as cupcakes to me when it comes to talking about photography.

The last thing we need are censoring APUG-like thought police here (exception to DG, he can't read my mind). If you want this forum to be like APUG, wouldn't it just be easier to go over to APUG?

Sorry. I do understand that the action taken was to ban discussion of religion and politics, not to eliminate the lounge.

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post

First, I am delighted that the lounge has bee eliminated.

Sandy King
    Last edited by sanking; 18-Oct-2008 at 06:50.

I joined LF Photography just for the discourse on LF photography, not social discussions. I don’t go to the lounge.
    I spend most of my non-work time making images/prints, not “chatting on-line” of social issues. There are plenty of places for that.
    I do not post very often but I do read many of the threads here. There are some practical, valuable tips from members for large format photography that I have benefited from.
    This, however isn’t a new discussion, if you don’t like the lounge, don’t go there. No more complicated than that.
    No, LF INFO is not deteriorating – some members are more interested in other agendas.
    Craig

Dear LF Photographers

My name is Kevin and I'm an ex Large Format Loungaholic.

I would like to share my story.

Before the Lounge was finally overhauled I had been desperately searching in vain for a ''Large Format Loungaholic Photographers Anonymous thrice weekly Group Meeting''. But now that the evile drug has been decisively and ruthlessly cut off at source, and following a short enforced period of surprisingly invigorating cold turkey, I can now announce that I have emerged clear eyed, enthusiastic and ready to re-enter the wonderful world of LF photography entirely free from all former cravings, and more surprisingly, endowed with full agreement and respect for the wisdom and foresightedness of ''The Powers That Be'' in there decision making.

All Power to the Powers That Be

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    I blame the deterioration of the LF Forum on George W. Bush. Had he been a better leader we'd be dancing on mountains of Tri-X and Dektol would be flowing freely from our taps.
    and i thought it was:

"A beautiful home in the country, upstairs and down.
    Beer flowing through the estate over your grandmother's paisley shawl."

http://www.filmsite.org/bank2.html

thanks frank!

john

The lounge is sort of like the candy dish of colorful M&Ms my bride keeps by the front door. I know I shouldn't eat any...but it's right there and in the way!
    I just shouldn't go there.
    Of course there are ancillary subjects that are interesting to delve into which might not be suitable under any of the other headings....is a palatable cheap wine considered "gear?" Is a search for a good breakfast burrito on a road trip to photograph the Grand Canyon rightfully belong under "Travel and location" or is it a "Resource?"
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by wfwhitaker View Post
    And at some point, all possible photographs will have been made.
    Theoretically, that's impossible. One could approach the same marble from a nearly infinite number of angles in all directions, move over a fraction of an inch and repeat the process, move back a bit and repeat, change lenses and repeat.....you get the idea. As long as there are different eyes seeing and a myriad of subjects to see, photography has no reason to roll over and play dead.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Graves View Post
    Theoretically, that's impossible. One could approach the same marble from a nearly infinite number of angles in all directions, move over a fraction of an inch and repeat the process, move back a bit and repeat, change lenses and repeat.....you get the idea. As long as there are different eyes seeing and a myriad of subjects to see, photography has no reason to roll over and play dead.
    Also, there are still portraits to be made of persons yet to be born!

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    "A beautiful home in the country, upstairs and down.
    Beer flowing through the estate over your grandmother's paisley shawl."

In the Big Film Candy Mountains you never have to spot
    And little streams of amidol come a-trickling down the rocks
    The collectors all love sunsets and the critics have rose specs
    55's still made, and six Azo grades
    In the Big Film Candy Mountains

Pass the moonshine....