Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do I need? (Speed Graphic kind of thing)

What do I need? (Speed Graphic kind of thing)

Note I already have LF camera gear (a studio 4x5 and field 4x5), so general purpose is not needed.

Here are the goals:

- Reasonably compact and singular (i.e. one package only, not including meter).
    - Shoots 4x5
    - Folds up into a package that is at least somewhat resilient to abuse; i.e. no exposed glass.
    - Focuses with a range finder
    - Hopefully has a reasonably accurate framing method.
    - Unfolds and is ready to shoot within a few seconds.
    - Ideally, can shoot multiple shoots.
    - Affordable. Yeah, I know that is fuzzy, but lets say only 3 digits in the price is the minimum requirement. Lower means sooner

I don't really need movements (or at least tilt, etc); this is sort of for 4x5 street shooting. I'll probably shoot B&W for this, so colour fidelity is not a requirement.

Clearly I need some kind of Speed-graphic-y kind of deal, but the mix of lenses, coupled/not, backs, etc continues to baffle me. I'd love to have suggestions of some mixes here that work well and I have a hope of obtaining in a reasonable time period for a reasonable sum of money.

Confused,
    Paul

tim810

Re: What do I need? (Speed Graphic kind of thing)

Paul,
    Speed graphics are great. I used one exclusivly in Italy without a tripod and had wonderful results. The camera I eventually want to trade my Speed for is a fotoman
    which would still be in your 3 digit range. check here http://www.fotomancamera.com/product_list.asp?id=335

I actually want the 8x10 fotoman

hope this helps
    tim

Speed Graphic, Crown Graphic, B&J Press are all similar. There are also some other old press cameras floating around. The Speed Graphic is the only one with a focal plane as well as a between the lens shutter. Any of them should serve your purpose.
    Jim

Much information on Speed Graphic cameras (which somewhat applies to other press cameras) is contained in Graphic Graflex Photography by Willard Morgan and Henry Lester. The eight edtion covers the side rangefinder Pacemaker series of cameras; earlier editions don't. The convenience of changing lenses means many of these cameras aren't completely original. That shouldn't affect function. http://graflex.org/ also has good information.

Yup, Speed Graphic or Crown Graphic (lighter). For fast street shooting, I would recommend a Crown Graphic with a working and properly adjusted body release and rangefinder. The body release means you don't have to fiddle with the release lever on the shutter, which can be somewhat awkward for what you're planning. Finding one with a good release cable and associated parts can be a chore, though. I also much prefer the side mounted Kalart rangefinder to the top mounted Graflex rangefinder. Although you can change cams on the top mounted unit, to match different lenses, the cams are hard to come by and may or may not exactly match your lens' focal length. A crap shoot. I also consider the top finder an overly complicated, somewhat poorly concieved, troublesome thing. For street shooting, a 135 lens and a Grafmatic 6 sheet holder or two will put you in business. You can squeeze off 6 shots pretty rapidly with that setup.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

For those requirements I use various incarnations of Speed Graphic. some are better than others, depending on what you value the most.

You might want to look into the Polaroid camera conversions like the Razzle. I think there are a couple of different guys doing such conversions.

Here is as specific recommendation as to what I would look for:

Late model Crown Graphic (does not have the complexity/hassle of the focal plane shutter)
    Late model camera should have the universal Graflok back (NOT the limited Graflex back)
    Late model camera should have the top mounted rangefinder that takes cams for various lenses.

(Nothing absolute here, as any of them, new and old, Speed Graphic or Crown graphic or Bush brand can be fun)

Here is a good example of what to look for:

A Speed allows you to experiment with older barrel lenses because of the focal plane shutter. A big advantage over the Crown imho.

SF Bay Area 94303

I am sitting here scanning 4X5 negatives. Half of them came from a Crown and most hand held on boats and stuff. Paid $180 for it with side mounted range finder. They are a lot handier than they look. I recently bought a super graphic, but I still like the crown better. It is lighter. I just bought a speed, but it has not come yet. I hate ebay. Bad case of gas...... I have real view cameras too, CC400, Swiss Arca, Linhoff 45s. K

K

Paul, if you don't reign yourself in somewhat when shooting one of the press cameras handheld on the street, you can shoot most of a box of film quite easily having fun. Then comes the developing. Hopefully you have a nice quick method. My choice would be the Crown and forget using the rangefinder unless you have time. Best to mark the bed rail with F-stops for hyperfocal distances and don't forget exp compensation if necessary.