Thread: Toyo 45A or Chamonix?

Jedi Knight

Toyo 45A or Chamonix?

Hi,

I have a really worn Toyo 45A camera that needs new bellows(pinholes). I emailed Toyo to know how much a new bellow would cost, they replied really fast that new bellows would cost 170 dollars+shipping(to brazil-heavy duty taxes). Im thinking about not getting the replacement bellows and ordering a 4x5 Chamonix.
    The Chamonix with shipping will cost 850 bucks and the Bellows will cost me(with shipping and taxes) about 400 dollars!

What do you think?

Re: Toyo 45A or Chamonix?

Ouch, $400 is a lot to sink in to a 4x5 camera for a bellows. You could probably sell the Toyo for a couple hundred and that would make the differential even less. I guess it comes down to how much you like the Toyo. If you're not attached to it, the Chamonix is a fantastic choice. You'll gain movements and drop weight with the Chamonix.

Have you tried repairing the pinholes? It's worth a shot in that you have nothing more to lose than the time it takes, and the tape and Sharpie pen ink you use (I've used black duck tape...yes "duck", not "duct") with complete success on Toyo/Omega bellows. If you put a bulb inside the bellows in a dark room, you'll find ALL the light leaks in pretty short order, and you can then go to work, and check as you complete the task.
    ----------------------------------------------------

www.johnvossphotography.blogspot.com

Jedi Knight

I tried to fix the pinholes without success, there are some big holes and lots of pinholes.

Wouldn't there also be import taxes on the Chamonix?

Is there anyone else in the region who could make you a bellows using the existing bellows as a model and recycling the old bellows frames? Camera Bellows UK, for instance, makes bellows for other purposes (blowers, pipe organs, shielding industrial equipment, and such), so maybe there is someone who makes bellows for other purposes who could make you a camera bellows, if you don't have a local camera bellows maker.

The Toyo bellows are well made. Its worth it.

Jedi Knight

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    Is there anyone else in the region who could make you a bellows using the existing bellows as a model and recycling the old bellows frames? Camera Bellows UK, for instance, makes bellows for other purposes (blowers, pipe organs, shielding industrial equipment, and such), so maybe there is someone who makes bellows for other purposes who could make you a camera bellows, if you don't have a local camera bellows maker.
    Great advice!