Thread: What to do with Saltzman gear?

What to do with Saltzman gear?

Hello folks,

I just purchased the Walpole, NH home of a now-deceased career studio photographer, and I now find myself the owner of a pile of Saltzman equipment: 3 large tripods, several smaller tripods, and 6 monolithic pedestal-type camera stands (8-10' tall, I think). They appear to have been well-used, and they've been "barn stored" for many years (read: a little beat up), but I think I can get them back in decent working order (to the extent that I can figure out how they ought to work).

I am not a photographer myself, but I admire your craft. I'd like to sell this stuff for what it's worth, but I'm not looking to get rich. Above all, I want it to get used. From what I've read, these things were made to last.

I could probably sell the tripods on ebay, but the stands are a bit larger than your average cardboard shipping box. Any ideas on how to find potential buyers? I also have several old heavy lights, flash power sources, negative holders, miles of sketchy cables, and god knows what else amidst the mouse nests and bat poop. Sorry, no cameras.

Re: What to do with Saltzman gear?

First, welcome to New Hampshire!

Second, I can share that I'm in the process of selling my late husband's equipment on the For Sale forum here, and you won't find a better marketplace with fair, helpful, and extremely knowledgeable people to deal with. Like you, I know little-to-nothing approaching what the folks here do. If you need some answers to questions, you'll very likely find them by searching this forum (see the Search button up top?) for the item, and get a crash course on what's important to know in order to at least describe what you've got.

I care a lot about whom I'm selling to, and you probably don't have as much of an investment in that as I do... but I'd certainly suggest you post things to the "For Sale" forum here before dealing with eBay, where the rules are enough to choke something REALLY big! You'll have a shot of getting things like the camera stands sold to someone in New England who can come and get them (by the way, if you sell all six and have buyers still looking, send them my way for the one I have -- "monolithic" is the word, all right!).

Good luck, and if you wind up posting a list in the For Sale section and anyone comes my way looking for something not in my husband's collection, I'll be glad to refer them to you.