Thread: Suggestions for LF color Film....

Suggestions for LF color Film....

Hello all, I shoot B/W large format 95% of the time, but will be going on a trip in early J uly where I will want to shoot some color. My question is specific to sunset ph otography. What films to do you suggest, filters, settings, etc do you suggest for this scene??

Much thanks, JC

Definitely shoot Fuji Velvia (ASA 50), and you will probably need a neutral density graduated filter. I prefer the Singh-Ray 3- stop 'hard', or the 2-stop 'soft'.

Voila

JC,

I agree that Velvia is a good choice if you prefer saturated colors. Another highly saturated film is E100VS. It has the advantage of being ISO 100, whereas Velvia is 50 (some people expose it at 40 to open it up a bit). The VS exhibits somewhat more grain than Velvia. For less saturation, you might consider Kodak E100SW or E100S. I have not been happy with any of Fuji's ISO 100 since they discontinued the original RDP. I haven't tried any of the European films such as Agfa.

As it's all a matter of personal taste, I suggest that you try some films at home to determine your favorite(s).

Good luck, Bruce

Second the Velvia - beware the latitude if you're used to using B&W - you'll get 4 stops or so. As a start, meter the sky close to the sun, and open up a stop and a half. You'll need a 2 stop ND grad if you want to record any color in foreground elements - otherwise you'll get pure black.

I'm afraid I have to vote no for Velvia. Velvia turns things green that weren't green to begin with. This is not just my experience. I like Astia or Kodak E100S which will accent the warmth of the sunsets... this is, of course, in my opinion. DV

Thanks for the help so far!! What about any Agfa product for color 4x5 sheet film?

I've used Agfa Ultra 50 in 120, and got grotesque colors - having said that I've seen some very nice shots with Ultra 50 as well - I didn't have the time to fool around with it. I think it was available in 4X5, you may want to check with Agfa.

At the risk of getting flamed, I hate the look of Fuji Velvia. I've never been a fan of uber-saturated films. I can't stand the cotton candy, cartoonish look of Veliva, E100VS and others of that ilk. My favorite color film is Fuji Astia... Kodak E100S is nice too. Fuji Astia has more latitude than other slide films too (I think). I shoot B&W most of the time too... ain't it grand?

Flame, flame on you Floren(wink). James