Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP! ZONE SIX 8x10 enlarger in Europe

Thumbs down HELP! ZONE SIX 8x10 enlarger in Europe

Hi everyone
    I live in Europe and have a zone six enlarger 4x5 (220v) with its control panels (220v) that have been using for years and also a 8x10 head (110V) that I havent been able to use because I dont know how to connect this 8x10 cold light head(110v) to the main electricity with a transformer and also trhough 220v control pannel. Were do I plug the transformers ? do I need two transformers? one for the head and another one for the 220v to the 110 head ? or would everything explode on me?
    Please help!I need to print my 8x10 photos , I have been years doing contacts with my 8x10 images and I need to print bigger.
    Saludos to all
    Valerie

Re: HELP! ZONE SIX 8x10 enlarger in Europe

Call an electrician over, give him a beer and a couple bucks and I'm sure you'll be able to use that 110v head. I can't imagine that it is a difficult thing for an electrician to do, but I have no idea if I'm right or not
    good luck, I wish I had a nice 8x10 enlarger!
    Erik

Valerie,

This sounds stressful, pack up the enlarger and sent it to me, I promise I will give it a good home and love it!

I am willing to bet, if you shot some 35mm pix and posted what you have, people here on the list could get you up and running or damn close to it. My fear with the electrician is that if he realizes you have no clue, the meter will spin at double rate before you are done!

Quote Originally Posted by Allen in Montreal View Post
    Valerie,

This sounds stressful, pack up the enlarger and sent it to me, I promise I will give it a good home and love it!

I am willing to bet, if you shot some 35mm pix and posted what you have, people here on the list could get you up and running or damn close to it. My fear with the electrician is that if he realizes you have no clue, the meter will spin at double rate before you are done!

Thanks Guys for answers but, Be serious! this is real here ! even if I am in "far away Europe" ( I love the jokes dough) I am afraid the electrician is scared about the results due to the changing of intensity of the light through the control pannel and the transformer..... well Allen , the electrician was sweet he didnt charge me anything but he didnt do anything eighther .. so really I need to print considering this method is almost disapearing due I cant find any B&W 8x10 film here unless you pay 400 Euros in Paris. Has anyone know a secret place were there are mountains of 8x10 Film boxes all brands and accesible prices?
    Saludos
    Valerie

Hi, from Bulgaria. I use a Zone VI 110V cold light head with the help of a 220V to 110V power transformer. You definitely need a electrically knowledgeable advice what to buy. It depends a lot of the power needs of your enlarger head and it must be well shielded to keep under control the unwanted and harmful electromagnetic field. It is not difficult at all to be done, but it need to be made professionally. Those kind of transformers are quite heavy. It is a good idea to buy it locally. On this link you can see a 500W transformer. Mine is 1500W. Google this [ 220v to 110v ] and you'll find a lot information.
    The cheapest film in Europe is sold by fotoimpex.de They sell worldwide. You can download their catalog from here. Look for Fomapan. 50 sh. box of 100 ASA 8x10 costs 61.88 EUR
    Good luck!
    Full with mission!

Andrey
    wow! Thanks that was a hell of a good answer! But why do u use a 1500W transformer? if you have the same Zone six 110v cold light head than me.....and what about your Timer is it 110v or 220v ? because mine is 220v and there is the problem.... the timer needs another transformer beetween the head 110v and itself 220v . I wish I could do a drawing so u could see.
    Have you tried Fomapan? does it have a beautiful range of greys like TRIX P what developer is recomended? ...too many questions maybe
    here ia a link to my work http://www.lightstalkers.org/valeriedeladehesa
    saludos
    valerie

wfwhitaker

Valerie,

I like your images; I hope you can find a solution so you can use your 8x10 head. Perhaps someone at Calumet Photographic would be able to help. They absorbed Zone VI before the name completely disappeared and sold the cold light heads for a while. Calumet has stores in Europe, including Belgium.

I am not familiar with this equipment. What does the 'control panel' do? Can you post some pictures or a link to something that explains what it does. I don't think an electrician would have a clue about this equipment.

If the 'control panel' is just a timer, then you may be able to use a 220 to 110 transformer for the 8x10 power supply (as suggested) and use a relay.

I live in the states and my Durst enlarger and control panel (timer) are powered by 220v and my 8x10 head is powered by 110v. I use two separate mains supplies (220v and 110v) and also connect the 110v head to the 220v timer through a relay.

Valerie, beautiful work indeed!
    I'm glad that I can help. First on your last question. I don't know if Foma films are comparable in quality to Kodak films as I never tried the last. In my opinion the quality always goes with the price, but on the other hand, generations of photographers from Eastern Europe have achieved wonderful results without access to Ilford or Kodak in the decades when Europe was divided. As for the developer, I'm using Pyrocat HD and don't have any plans to replace it. Do some search on it and on the Foma films here and on apug.org. There is a wealth of information.
    To the cold light head: I have the 4x5 Zone VI cold light head, bought second hand and because there was no any information on the lamp housing regarding its power consumption, in my wish to play safe, I bought the most powerful transformer I could find. Remember that there is a heating inside as a part of it and those kind of elements usually draw a lot. Your head is 8x10, which is four time larger then mine. I don't know if its power consumption is four time bigger, but if there isn't enough power on hand, the heating won't be efficient, the lamp won't be stable, hence the results won't be predictable!
    To the circuit: I use 220V enlarger timer. The circuit is as follows: first the enlarger timer which drives a relay with double action. When the relay receives a driving power from the timer it closes and switch on the transformer which is connected directly to the Zone VI cold light stabilizer driving the lamp. When the relay doesn't receive a driving power from the timer it closes another circuit which drives my safe lights.
    How much exactly power is needed for it can tell you only a qualified electricity technician after consulting the written on the head itself or by measuring.

Remember! Playing with electricity can be disastrous!

Andy
    Full with mission!