These are two versions of the same self-portrait I did in my MFA work. One is the standard photo, and the second is a version where I manipulated the photo. The basic idea about my thesis work was about my experiences in nature, and how the act of seeking out unspoiled nature was fraught, in that visiting places and exposing them makes one complicit in their destruction. So the idea behind the work was to use working methods or compositions that obscured the subjects and protected their locations or identities. In any case, I subjected myself to the same treatment by applying digital camouflage.

I made the photo on my own without a self timer. I just triggered the shutter on the camera, ran back to my mark, triggered the flashes, and ran back to the camera. It was dark enough to do so without disrupting the photo. I think I used my 110mm Super Symmar XL. You can see a higher quality version of the final photo at my website, along with the rest of the project. http://stuartrichardson.com/albums/undercurrent/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	east-trip-3-18 011.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	228629
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	east-trip-3-18 011-manipulated.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	228630