Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linhof for 6x9?

Linhof for 6x9?

Hi all,

I'm a very infrequent vistor here but that may change. I've been using a Bronica RF645 occasionally but don't see a huge advantage over 35mm to be honest and would really like to move to 6x9. I've thought about a Fuji GW/GWS? but the idea of the fixed lenses is not that appealing. I saw a Linhof Technica for sale recently on RFF and was totally besotted with it's looks and I understand that certain model Linhofs take 6x9 roll backs for 120 film. What models have this capability and what would be a reasonable price for a camera with a couple of backs and possibly two or three lenses?

I used my Crown Graphic for the first time the other day and was totally blown away by the experience though they are a large beastie to lug around. How does the Linhof compare size and weight wise to the Graphic?

Thanking you for any advice opinions in advance!

Re: Linhof for 6x9?

The 4x5 Linhof Technika is slightly smaller than the Crown, and a LOT heavier and more clumsy to use (it also has more lens and back movements available).
    You can use the same 6x6, 6x7, and 6x9 backs on your Crown that you would use on a Linhof.
    I don't think that you will get any substantial improvement over the RF645 until you go to full 4x5.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

The Crown weighs about a pound and a half more than a 4x5 Technika (about 4.8 lbs vs about 6.2 lbs) without lenses. But you get more camera in terms of movements (especially front forward tilt, perhaps the most common movement with LF cameras, which the Technika has and the Crown doesn't), quality of construction, accessories, etc. I've owned two Technikas and haven't found them clumsy to use relative to any other 4x5 camera. They're beautifully engineered and constructed, everything locks where it's supposed to lock, everything works very easily and smoothly. Great cameras. Personally I wouldn't buy a 4x5 camera for the sole purpose of using it with medium format film but some people do.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

All Linhof 6x9 and 4x5 cameras accept 6x9 roll backs for 120 film.

When I was looking at 6x9 I almost got a Fuji, but for the price I wound up getting a Horseman 6x9 system. I think that because the Horseman is less expensive than the Linhof, the parts and lenses are easier to find. I was able to get all 8 Horseman lenses and cams without much trouble (read 'expense').

Image quality? It is right where it would be expected; in between 6x6cm and 4x5in. I think you will see a significant improvement in 11x14s and 16x20s over your 6x4.5 system.

Probably a stupid question but when you use a 6x9 film back on a 5x4 camera how do you frame the subject. I've seen focusing screens with lines etched into them for the different format and was wondering if this is the way it goes!

Personally I love the RF645, and I use it with pride. Then again I prefer the ergonomics to a lot of 35mm cameras.

I can't help with your choice, I've not gone the way of 6x9. Most will etch or pencil lines for smaller formats onto the GG, or use a masking frame.

Lines on the ground glass is one possibility. Or a mask laid over the focusing screen. For the hand-held camera masks are aviable for the view finder.

If you only want to use rollfilm, you could try a Baby Technika.

Do you like wide angle photography, or would be content with longer lenses?

If you like wide-angle photography, then it depends on whether you have to drop the front bed of a Technika 4x5 to avoid its interfering with the picture? (Like for a 75mm or a 65mm lens?) If so, you end up having to focus the lens on a slant. So, the closer you focus the lens towards the film, the more rise you obtain. Or, there's a special focusing device you can get that allows you to have independent adjustment of both rise and focus.

I owned a Technika IV 6x9 camera. But, rise with a 65mm was restricted by the inside of the camera's body or by the viewfinder. I've been told the same occurs with a 75mm lens. Yet, a 75mm is only a moderate wide-angle with 6x9 film. I sold it.

I'd say there are better options for 6x9 than either or these cameras. If you like wide angles and also like Linhof build quality, you might consider a used Linhof 6x9 Technikardon? Very neat and clever camera, and it can handle any wide angle for 6x9. I've seen a couple of these recently sell on EBay.