Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good All around Filter system...

Question Good All around Filter system...

I'm looking at buying a new filter system, and I'm wondering what a good all around system would be for my 4x5 crown and would work on my DSLR?

I was looking at the Cokin P series, any thoughts?

Mainly use Polarizer and would like to start using GND filters...

Thanks,
    Kevin

Re: Good All around Filter system...

By all means get Cokin holders, although they don't have the ability to rotate, one within the other, but IMO their filters are not so hot.

I use the Lee Pro holder kit with Formatt filters http://www.formatt.co.uk as they are excellent quality and a lot less money than Lee and some others.

I use the Lee system
    • adapter ring on each lens
    • Lee cover on each adapter ring
    • two holders (so one can rotate with polarizer and another with ND skyline)
    • square ploarizer
    • graduated ND 1 & 2 stop
    • collapsable shade - all the time
    • warming (very rarely)
    • full ND (very rarely)
    Duncan Dwelle

Glenn Mellen

The Cokin holders are OK, especially if you're on a tight budget... but the Lee filter system is considerably better. They're better built, have adjustable tension for different filter thicknesses, are rotatable, and one can adjust number of slots (adding or subtracting slots as needed).

I also would suggest their filters are of poorer quality than other brands. Look to Singh-Ray, Lee, and HiTech for higher quality filters, and Cokin's only if you like some of their special effects filters.

I've been using Cokin filters for about 30 years and the P series for around 25. They are excellent I've never had a problem with them at all, and I'm still using my original filters.

Ian

Glenn Mellen

As a postscript... There is one slight problem with the Lee System... at least in the States: Availability! Some of their filters and accessories are rarely in stock, and sometimes it takes several weeks to get anything "out of the ordinary." I had to wait for three weeks for restocking for a 86mm adapter... nearly a month for their 10-pocket filter holder pouch... and various lengths of waits for other accessories.

Not at all like the Cokins, where you can pick up filters and accessories at any local camera store (ie: Ritz, Wolfe, etc.). But... to me at least... worth the wait for the much higher quality of filters and accessories.

Both Lee and Cokin are a good choice. I have used both systems over time and do not really prefer the one over the other.
    I think the Cokin P series is for lenses up to 80 something mm diameter. They have information on the different series on their site.

I have no experience with Formatt filters.

Regarding Lee product availability in the U.S....in the past I've purchased Lee products from Robert White in the U.K. whenever availability or cost issues arose (the folks at Robert White are wonderful to deal with). The dollar has strengthened recently so the costs are currently comparable. For example, the Lee 10-filter pouch costs $48.95 at B&H, and $47.48 (converted from 25 british pounds at current exchange rates) at Robert White. Also Lee USA will sell products directly to consumers so there is no harm in checking with them in case a retailer is slow in obtaining product.

Also, Hitech filters are manufactured by Formatt. I have used a variety of Hitech color conversion filters with my Lee holders, and have been very happy with them. They are cheaper than the corresponding Lee filters, yet are of excellent quality.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

I use Lee filters.

But since I have a plethora of different lenses with different and often unusual/totally unknown filter threads (if any), most of the time I use a Lee Gel-Snap. Fits anything, except the humongousest brass cannons (14" f:3.2 Petzval and the likes).

Years ago, I started out with Cokin filters and never liked the flimsy holder. I wish I had bought the Lee filter system right away. It is so much nicer to use, more versatile and their ND grad as really neutral, while the Cokin ND grads have a slight pinkish colour cast. If you really want to use the Cokin holder, then do get Hi-Tech square filters for it.
    I would strongly recommend not to waste your money on a Cokin setup, but to go straight to the Lee system. It is more expensive, yes, but you'll probably end up buying it anyway, sooner or later.