Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good dual monitor recommendations?

Good dual monitor recommendations?

Greetings folks,

I'm finally looking to set up a new workstation for PS work with hi-res images. The last thing I want to do these days is waste the time trying to do research on good quality monitors for a dual monitor setup, so i figured I'd short-circuit that step by asking the group for recommendations...

I have a new Mac Pro here, and want to do a dual monitor arrangement with it. I was thinking of a pair of 20 inch monitirs, but size is somewhat flexible. I don't want to spend the money on two Cinema displays, and at this point, I'm not convinced there is any real benefit to them anymore.

Can anyone make a specific recommendation of fairly inexpensive monitors that will calibrate well, have good color and are suitable for this application?

Thanks,

---Michael

Re: Good dual monitor recommendations?

I am using Samsung 24" widescreen, I gather that most Apple displays use their panels so I reasoned, why pay Apple's prices for the same panels?

Joanna

I'm using two Dell 24" widescreen displays with my Apple MacPro 8-core.

One is horizontal for the image, and the other vertical for all the tools. They are cheaper than the Apple 23" screens.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...4&sku=320-6272
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

I recently purchased a new Samsung 24" LCD (245BW i think) for home and really like it. I'm only running one monitor but it is a whole lot larger than my old 17" CRT.

I read several reviews on amazon on various monitors before deciding on the Samsung. Part of the reason I choose this model was the fact it had an adjustable height stand. My LCD only has a 160° viewing angle; I didn't feel that going to the higher model with 178° was worth the extra $200.

I also just received a 22" Samsung (226CW) from Costco for my day job. It looks nice so far and the new price was around what other dealers on the net were advertising for refurbished/recertified versions of this model.

-Darren

Hi Micheal

I use two monitors, but the second monitor is basically for tools, info palettes and such and therefore any monitor will do.
    I am now considering three monitors, one Eizo or Nec large screen for editing, apple 20 inch for lightroom , and a third lesser monitor for tools.
    Two monitors work amazing for me and would never go back to single monitor. Now I just have to try a tablet over the mouse.
    Last edited by bob carnie; 8-Aug-2008 at 14:52. Reason: can't spell

I've been using three-four-two monitors, all 21" +, for over fifteen years. I can't imagine going back. Right now I have a pair of 24" LG Flatron which I got quite inexpensively from Best Buy. These are not fine arts graphic displays and I don't do PhotoShop on them, but I am very happy with the space at dual 1900x1200.
    Duncan Dwelle

What about issues with calibration???

Perhaps someone with multiple monitor setups can tell us about the issue of color calibrating color monitors when there are more than one.

A friend just had a person who does color calibration in to calibrate his monitors (2). The person doing the calibration could only calibrate one monitor. He said it was because my friend used a twin-head graphics card (two ports on one card with one graphics chip). Even though the card was a high end 512mb card, only one calibration would work.

The consultant indicated that each monitor should have it's own card and driver.

Any thoughts or suggestions here. My friend paints his art from viewing the artwork on the monitor, but the monitor on his desk does not portray identical colors. It's a bit of an issue, and the consultant also said he needs to buy the equipment to calibrate because an LCD display only holds calibration for about a week as oppose to 3-4 weeks on a CRT.

Macs provide native support for individual profiles for each monitor. This is even true on Mac laptops which allow for an external monitor. it's not an after-thought, but built-in from the ground up.

Apple is the first choice for graphic arts and imaging professionals, not because they run spreadsheets and pie charts cheaply, but because they are designed by imaging professionals, for imaging professionals.

I recommend that for any questions about monitor calibration, you contact Chromix. They are very helpful and know as much as anyone.

Photographer, Machinist, etc. Jeffrey Sipress's Avatar

With my MacPro, I'm using a Apple 23" Cinema Display next to a LaCie 321.

Kuzano, it depends on the card, from what I'm told. Some do, some don't. There is a applet downloadable from Microsoft that allows you to assign different color profiles to each monitor