Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best field camera with movments

Best field camera with movments

I love using camera movements so I've kept to using a monorail for everything but I really want to do some hiking with my camera. I've tried packing and hiking with my monorail equipment but I can't get more then 200 yards from my car without needing a Gatorade and cliff bar.

Which field cameras have the best 'overall' movements? I realize this is subjective but I'd love to hear what cameras/movements other people are using and for what purposes, i.e. obtaining a greater dof, architecture, or selective focus.

I've read that the Shen-hao hza has great rear standard movements while the Chomonix had more front standard moments. I'm looking seriously at these two cameras because I'm on a budget and these both seem to get really great reviews. Weight is really not that big of a concern. Other suggestion other than the Shen and Chomonix are appreciated.
    http://www.gregoryflanagan.com

"The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition." - Carl Sagan

Re: Best field camera with movments

An option for a light monorail is the 3 pound Toho:

http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/toho.htm

I believe that some of the WISTAs have rear shift?
    I don't understand why you state that you can't go 200 yards from your car without energy boosters, yet you indicate that weight is not really that big of a concern.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

The 200 yard comment was just a joke. The really problem is that it's too cumbersome and awkward to hike with my monorail.

"The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition." - Carl Sagan

The Tachihara is a great field camera because it is light, but it is more limited in movements than other cameras. It has front rise/fall/swing/tilt and rear swing and tilt. By combining front and rear swing you can accomplish a shift. I backpack in Colorado with my Tachihara and related kit and can't imagine wanting a different camera. Weight is a huge concern for me as my backpacking kit with the 4X5 and digital slr weighs 65 pounds.

I know one of the Ebony models is very full featured in regards to movements, but it is heavy compared to the other ebony models. I can't ever keep all their models straight, but I'm pretty sure the one with full movements is also the most expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Marshall View Post
    An option for a light monorail is the 3 pound Toho:

http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/toho.htm
    Second that. I've had a Toho for what, six or seven years now, and I never look at another camera because this one has everything I need. Including full movements on both standards (like a good monorail should). And it's quite easy to pack and deal with on location.

I should also point out that the weight of the camera does make a disproportionate difference in backpacking. Because a lighter camera lets you use a lighter tripod head and a lighter tripod, etc. I'm just sayin' that it's worth considering.

Bruce Watson

Thanks for the pointer to the Toho, I didn't know they existed. What a great camera and It looks like a great candidate for my use. It's about double the expense of the Shen although I can see myself using this camera for quite a long time and I could sell my current monorail since the Toho could fill in for the studio work as well. I'm going to have to start saving all my penny's for this one if I decided on it. Bagger currently has them listed at $1,425.

Light monorail from Gowland ...the Gowland pocket... made in various formats and with varied movement options. The design always seemed to be evolving with regard to various rise, shift, tilt movements. There was an all movements model. You can see a couple of variations on the Gowland web site. http://www.petergowland.com/camera/
    They were also branded for Calumet. Simple two piece monorail weighing 2.5 to 3 pounds.

Also, a little heavier, but with all movements at a very reasonable price... often found for $350 to $500 depending on accessories. I've seen them periodically on eBay. The calumet cadet. Monorail with L front and rear standards.

http://www.petergowland.com/camera/

Quote Originally Posted by gflanslo View Post
    Thanks for the pointer to the Toho, I didn't know they existed. What a great camera and It looks like a great candidate for my use. It's about double the expense of the Shen although I can see myself using this camera for quite a long time and I could sell my current monorail since the Toho could fill in for the studio work as well. I'm going to have to start saving all my penny's for this one if I decided on it. Bagger currently has them listed at $1,425.
    I use from 55mm to 450mm on mine. Very happy with it!

What is the budget?

There is always the TechniKardan 45, if the budget permits.