Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: At last my Chamonix just arrived !

Re: At last my Chamonix just arrived !

Got mine today ! So nice ! Ordered it back in January, I never waited that long for a camera. It's here just in time for me to get used to it before the holidays start.
    I understand there isn't a short user manual, is there ? Just don't want to miss any feature.

Andrew Moxom

Mine shows it was released from customs in Chicago at 1pm CST.... That means it will be in MN by Tuesday when I am leaving for a 5 day camping trip or Wednesday... Now I'll have to take my Canham :-\

I got mine the other day also. I love it!
    I do have a question though. On the front of the front standard there is one dot on each side, in the wood, and there are also two dots on the metal frame. The top dot is white or yellow and the bottom dot is red. I know you line up the dots to center the rise and fall of the front standard. Why are there two dots on the metal frame? Which one do I line up to?
    Chamonix 45N-1 with 90mm f6.8 Caltar II N, and 210mm f6.8 Rodenstock Geronar

If you have a center drilled lensboard, line up the front frame dot with the lower dot on the standard. If you have an off-center lensboard, align with the upper dot on the front standard to zero out the rise. Practically? It doesn't make much difference.

Andrew Moxom

My Cham showed up just before I was leaving fro a trip to Door County WI... So I have it, AND my Canham DLC along for comparisons. So far so good. I opened the box last night and checked the camera in the light of a campfire and portable lantern. Seemed okay. I opened the box up in daylight and found that there was a small, and I mean small white blemish on the front standard from something. Other than that, the whole thing is pristine, and very well made. My first gripe in the comparisons is that the Chamonix has the duller ground glass, and the digital looking grid lines are a pain to use over the DLC ground glass. I made 4 exposures with the Chamonix this morning and overall it was a joy to use. Movements are solid, and the camera just feels so rigid. You lock it and it stays put. I am confident that the GG is something that maybe fixable with an aftermarket version....More to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur,NYC View Post
    I also received my camera today. All I can say is WOW. I have to wait a few more days for my lens boards. I would love any info from past owners as to quirks or things to look out for.
    Thanks
    Arthur
    Put some protective material down on the base of the camera for the front standard to lie on. Otherwise you might accumulate scratches.

Asher

Quote Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
    Put some protective material down on the base of the camera for the front standard to lie on. Otherwise you might accumulate scratches.

Asher
    I received my ShenHao <sp?> lens boards from Badger Graphic late this afternoon and I've got all my glass mounted so tomorrow I get to use it for the first time.

Don Bryant

My Chamonix arrived yesterday in Germany! Itīs a beautiful piece of craftsmanship!
    For next time I will only touch it, put it on the top of my TV, take it with me to work .... and maybe sleep with it.
    Thanks a lot, Hugo!