Thread: Rembrant 5X7 View Camera

Rembrant 5X7 View Camera

Well I think I found a decent camera to learn large format with. I've put a bid on a Rembrant 5X7 View Camera on EBAY. I should know tomorrow if it is mine. I would appreciate a little backgound info on this camera. Thanks for the info that this forum has provided.

Rembrant 5X7 View Camera

The Rembrandt is the "portrait" or studio version of the Burke and James cameras from the '50s. Used primarily for portrait/school-type shots, it has no front standard movement. Focusing is via rear standard (tailboard). I have rebuilt and used several of these in 5x7 format. They are usable, adequately ridgid as long as you use a solid tripod. But loosen with use/age. If this unit is older, or has had steady use it may need some tightening/tweaking, particularly the drive mechanism. They do fold, but are not very convenient for field use, as there is no front tilt or swing. You can substitute rear tilt to a certain degree. If it's in very good shape, you shouldn't have to pay more than $150US.

Rembrant 5X7 View Camera

Matt has given you good information above. I would only add that there is a Model I and a Model II. Model II is the one with the hinged focusing track that folds up parallel to the front standard for portability; Model I, I believe, does not fold.

I have the Model II fitted with a Packard shutter which I use as an elegant pinhole camera when the mood strikes. They typically sell for $100.00 to $150.00; mine came with five or six different backs for various formats, both current and obsolete.