Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Humping 8x10 more than 100 feet from the car

Re: Humping 8x10 more than 100 feet from the car

I've never owned a car, so when moving to 8x10 I knew I had only one choice... Gowland.

I can fit the Lite 8x10 with Fuji 300C (250g), a holder or two, the tripod (Gitzo 1550T), Harrison changing bag, and box of 10 sheets of film in a messenger bag without overloading it. Together with some clothes and toiletries (and another camera or two) in a separate bag, I think I could take that setup anywhere in the world. I certainly took more than that weight in camera equipment to China.

I think if I were contrained to photographic subjects near the interstate, I would learn to paint (better).

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Calahan View Post
    Not even a Hummer can travel over a 10-foot fallen tree!

One must accept limits.

The original thread was about getting one's gear more than 100-feet from the car, not leaping tall buildings at a single bound. HA!
    Welcome to my favorite part of the world! The photo below was taken on New Years Day 2008 -- 8x10 set up on the fallen upper portion of the snag on the left -- probably 10 to 15 feet above the ground (actually on one side was the creek), with the camera itself another 5 feet higher...had to move very carefully!

Vaughn

PS...it took more than a single bound...LOL! But you have a good point. I am training up my three boys (in the photo) to help carry the gear...better than a stroller, lamas or mules. But at 11 years old, they are are costing a bit to feed (and it is only starting!)

Downstairs

Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    I have seen and coveted these navigator's brief cases. They do indeed look neat. Where does one find them for purchase?
    Mine is made by Samsonite. It stands up to rough use.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Broadbent View Post
    Mine is made by Samsonite. It stands up to rough use.
    Christopher you've got me thinking! It would be great to see your case loaded with the gear.....any pictures?

kev

I always work out of my f64 bag, car or trail. My problem is carrying the Ries. I'd like to make padded strap because I just carry it by hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Cool! Thanks Frank. Now that I see the photos of these, I think I actually have one made of the hyde of the nagga. I should dig it out, liberate it from what ever mundare use it is currently laboring under and see what fits.

I still carry the same Tachihara 8x10, three lenses, six holders, tripod, etc as I did fifteen years ago. All up the gear weighs the same 60 pounds. But being older, fatter, slower, and balder means compromises.

What gets me there is starting earlier. Maybe two hours earlier. Slow walking, small steps, keeping moving, and no puffing. Go to the far end of the trail while noting promising subject matter. Take pictures on the way back. The last picture, the weariest one, is nearest the car. There is no point bustin' myself climbing to a grand view if I have no energy left to photograph with.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

As Morley Baer used to say, "There are no good pictures more than 100' from the car." He sure made a lot of good ones.

Since I don't wander far from the car, Kodak 8x10 2D, tailboard, darkcloth and lens, carried in an old carryon suitcase -- the kind with the wheels and telescoping handle.
    No room for the holders, so I've been known to stuff them into a disposable, plastic grocery bag.
    Since I also like to shoot 5x7 and 4x5, that means added bags and containers for those cameras and holders.
    It's quite a to-do getting ready and carrying everything out to the car on my all too infrequent photo outings.
    I really should consolidate on an 8x10 with reducing backs.