Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: And yet another tripod rant....

Re: And yet another tripod rant....

When hiking (especially sking) I'll usually leave the head behind. This saves a great deal of wieght and bulk.
    Of course if I've got my Tiltall along thats not an option.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

www.reallybigcameras.com

Quote Originally Posted by Terence McDonagh View Post
    I just got the Feisol CB-50d, and it is pretty meaty. It should be more than enough for the Pentax and a 200mm. Although they don't say it for what I assume are liability reasons, it accepts Arca-style plates. The Feisol plates ar slightly narrower, so I'm not sure the Feisol plates are "backwards compatible" with other Arca style systems. It would depend on how tight the clamp can close.

Someone else might be able to tell you if the CB-30 is stout enough for the Pentax.
    I definitely wouldn't recommend the CB-30C for a Pentax 6x7. The CB-30C is a small, compact ballhead that is great for travel use with other lightweight gear. The Pentax 6x7 is a big, heavy medium format SLR. So, not only do you have the weight to contend with, it has a big, heavy mirror to induce vibrations (I recommend using the mirror lock-up feature whenever possible). Also, the Pentax 6x7 does not have a revolving back. It must be flopped on it's side, like a 35mm SLR to shoot verticals. This presents an unbalanced load. A much better solution is to purchase an L-bracket from Kirk or Really Right Stuff that will let you shoot verticals with the camera centered over the tripod head.

In the Feisol products, the CB-50D is the smallest head I'd recommend for the Pentax 6x7 - and even then I'd recommend the use of mirror lock-up, when possible, and an L-bracket for the best results. Those recommendations aren't specific to the CB-50D. They apply to using the Pentax 6x7 with any medium size ballhead. Due to it's size, weight and design, the Pentax 6x7 presents a unique set of challenges to any support system. In many ways, it's support requirements exceed that of a typical 4x5 system.

Kerry Thalmann
    Really Big Cameras

You are right about the unique support requirements. The p67 is harder to hold than my 4X5 gear for sure. One problem the camera has is that it has a lot of horizontal shake. I have never been too sure if the horizontal movement affects the image, as I think a lot of the movement occurs when the second curtain is closing. All I know for sure is that if I use a tripod that tames it, my other gear is no problem.
    Thank you one and all for the info. All I have to look at locally are some manfrotto, and small velbons. Nothing locally I find would work for me.

www.reallybigcameras.com

Quote Originally Posted by weasel View Post
    You are right about the unique support requirements. The p67 is harder to hold than my 4X5 gear for sure. One problem the camera has is that it has a lot of horizontal shake. I have never been too sure if the horizontal movement affects the image, as I think a lot of the movement occurs when the second curtain is closing. All I know for sure is that if I use a tripod that tames it, my other gear is no problem.
    Thank you one and all for the info. All I have to look at locally are some manfrotto, and small velbons. Nothing locally I find would work for me.
    One of the bigger Feisol tripods (CT-3371, CT-3471, CT-3372 or CT-3472) would be a good match for your P67, but still keep the weight of the tripod under 5 lbs.

Where are you located?

Kerry Thalmann
    Really Big Cameras

The Tiltall is a fine tripod for the dollar. If you do buy an older model, often times, the center rubber gasket may be dried out and cracked. It is just an age related reality.

We just replaced ours with one from a gasket and seal company for a little under $5 and works like a charm. Don't forget to take your old gasket with you. Most places are able to replicate the size.

Tomaas

I am in arkansas. Would one of the tournament class pods be too wimpy?

www.reallybigcameras.com

Quote Originally Posted by weasel View Post
    I am in arkansas. Would one of the tournament class pods be too wimpy?
    I'm in Oregon. So, showing you some tripods in person isn't going to work.

The Tournament Class models would be the minimum I'd recommend for your gear - and even then, I'd recommend using mirror lock-up when possible and an L-bracket for vertical shots.

If weight and bulk aren't an overriding concern, I'd recommend one of the larger models as it would give you some extra headroom.

Kerry Thalmann
    Really Big Cameras

I like that carbon fiber absorbs vibrations... Tap the leg of an aluminum tripod, and the camera receives almost all of that vibration. The carbon tripod will dampen the impact significantly.

I've been really loving the Gitzo 1550T, and use it for every format up to 8x10...

I found an older aluminum gitzo, ( forget model number) that was reasonable. It should be arriving today. The tripod and head go 7 pounds, and it looks much like the tiltall size wise.
    Hopefully it will meet my needs.
    After all my looking and poking I just could not see spending $300 plus for a set of legs that when attached to my head is still going to go in the 10lb range.
    If this one doesn't meet my needs, I will bite the bullet and buy a feisol.

Weasel,

I think the biggest problem is that you are not willing to leave the 3-way head behind. I have a Bogen 3021 with 3030 head and I eventually couldn't stand carrying it on hikes any longer. It weighs 8 pounds total. I still prefer working with the three way head, but I will not carry it in the field.

Last year I switched to a Velbon 630 tripod and Acratech Ultimate head. Now the tripod weighs 4 pounds and its every bit as stable as the 8 pound bogen/manfrotto and then some. One thing that I found helped alot was moving from the bogen plates to arca-swiss standard plates. The plates are held in a more rigid manner by the tripod head and reduce one more point of slack and vibration.

I'm sure your Gitzo will be a pleasure to work with, but you have not solved your tripod weight issue.

Mel-