Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice for beginner toward LF

Convert to LF

Re: Advice for beginner toward LF

Salut la France!

I have a Tachihara for some time, and I am impatiently waiting for the arrival of the Chamonix (!) in August. Tachihara is ok, but I found the fine-tuning difficult and inaccurate with the Tachi. On the positive side, it is rugged and light, ideal for the mountain bag. Plenty of lenses available on the ebay (tiny angulon 90mm for around $100) and badgergraphic is a good address for films and accessories. Closer to France there is Robertwhite.co.uk.
    I have the V700, it is ok up to A3+ when scanning with 2400ppi. More ppi would request multi-processor MAC Pro, and I am not sure there is a gain.
    Replace the flimsy holders Epson with the one from betterscanning.com. Bigger print requests high-end flatbend, drum or virtual drum. Good second-hand starts at $3500.
    LF is a very satisfying way of spending time, sure that you will enjoy, especially in France.

Salutations du Valais, Serge

I think there is a camera shop that has lots of large format equipment...new and used...'le grand format' in paris?

Marc

I Thank you for all your advices. I will take some time to investigate.

What do you think to start with a (cheap) press camera like a CROWN GRAPHIC ?

JF

If you take your time and wait for a late model in good condition you will have a very nice camera indeed.
    Read all about it here http://graflex.org/
    I bought a pacemaker Speed myself beginning of this year, just because I wanted to have one of these iconic cameras, really. What I soon found out is that I had bought a fully functional, very well made and sturdy 4x5 that is a joy to use use hand held.
    The Crown does not have a focal plain curtain shutter, hence is lighter in weight, but lacks the fast shutter speeds up to 1/1000. It's up to you whether that is important or not.
    Compared to a monorail like, e.g., those made by Sinar or Arca-Swiss these cameras lack movements and versatility. I think they are very well suited for a first 4x5. And not for only that I might add. I have found it is a very capable camera you can always cary with you in a small sack. They are surprisingly quick to work with once you get the drill down.
    If you do not need the movements, it might be all you ever need.
    One last thing: be sure to get one with a Graflock back if you decide on taking this route.

A Super Graphic can sometimes be had for cheap, if you think movements may be important... It's no view camera, but it has a healthy amount of front swing, tilt and rise. And the bed can drop as well....

I started with the Tachihara too. With the Graphic, you'll miss a lot of movements, which is part of the fun of large format. I'd consider it a specialty camera, something to get maybe after you've decided more clearly what you want from large format.

Before you buy and start, have a close look at the SINAR f2:

- you pay very reasonable prices
    - often available in Europe (no import and tax costs)
    - system open to all formats and add-ons, exchangeable components
    - lots of lenses on SINAR boards available
    - should be sold for little loss in 1 year if you don't like the format

- lightweight, easy to transport in backpack
    - lot's of movement compared to field cam

I am lucky I didn't start with a field cam, as I nearly did. Today I received my 8x10 back, darkslides and lenses waiting, just need to buy films ...

Good luck and have fun (how I would like to go to "Bretagne, Côte de Granite rose" with my LF equipment ...)

Salutations

Michael