Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arca Swiss Reversing Recessed Lensboard

Arca Swiss Reversing Recessed Lensboard

I have an Arca Swiss F-Line Field (110 by 110) and was wondering if anyone has reversed a recessed board (15mm, #1) to accommodate a Fuji 450 lens to give a bit of relief for the bellows. I use that lens with the stock bellows and it works well, but the bellows can be maxed out, and it would be great to have just a bit more extension to hopefully avoid the heartbreaking popping sound that precedes bellows failure.
    Thanks,
    -Brad

Re: Arca Swiss Reversing Recessed Lensboard

Brad-

I do not have the answer but have had the exact same question for the exact same reason. I have been thinking of getting the 450mm but did not want to have to get the long bellows, so a 110 board with a "tophat" would be great.

I hope someone has an answer on this one.
    My Arca-Swiss Camera Blog- The Large Format Camera Blog

My website-WildernessPhotographer

One of the problems with reversing the lensboards is that you will increase the chance of light leaks. The old arca lensboards used foam seals on the inside and the present versions use metal ridges which perform the same function. In the 171mm size that I own they do offer an arca to linhof lensboard adapter. This would allow you to use a Linhof sized tophat. Unfortunately, these adapters are very expensive, if they are available in your lens board size, I would imagine they would be equally expensive. I recently bought a used Arca long bellows for less than the adapter.

wondering if anyone has reversed a recessed board (15mm, #1) to accommodate a Fuji 450 lens to give a bit of relief for the bellows.

Brad : Hello from Arca-City

Uncompromising arcaphiles could argue that you just have to add a 15cm extension rail in front of your rail system and be happy. But this would not be the answer to your question since it would need another accessory plus some extra bellows extension

I'll try that and tell you since I have one of those 15mm recessed boards in 110x110 size.
    F-line boards are simply machined precisely flat, with precisely rounded corners, I have to check that the "wrong" side of the board is machined flat as well, that the edges are not slanted (I don't think so) in this case I do no see any reason why it should not work. Unlike reversing a recessed board, this trick does need more bellows extension...

One of my arca-friends with his 6x9 showed another 100% harmless trick to gain two centimetres, simply reverse the front format frame on his dovetail. Since F-line format frames are a-symmetrical, the front one is designed to be in the recessed position, by reversing it you'll get a small amount of extra extension. Sure, the focusing knobs & movement locks won't be located at the right place but again it works since bellows frames attachements and boards attachements are identical.

Cooke, Heliar, Petzval...yeah

Wasn't someone selling extra long bellows here?

Here?
    Peter Hruby
    www.peterhruby.ca

Thanks everyone, I think I'll just try it and see if it works.

John, the current 110 mm lensboards are machined flat and have no foam, so it should work. I could have a top hat made, but I'm sure it would cost more than a new recessed board.

Emmanuel, I've heard of reversing the standards, but I am so used to the knob arrangement now that I couldn't learn it easily.

-Brad

I have several of the recessed boards and am a machinist by trade. I will turn one around and see what the issues are. There is a machined recess on the backside which forms the light trap, by reversing it there should be light leak....Evan Clarke

I just reread my response.

I did not mean to state that the older style lens board had the foam seals, the seals were on the older style camera body.

At any rate, good luck Brad and good photography!

Hi Brad,
    I stuck one in my 6x9 and it drops right in. Here a couple images, #1 is the board in the camera and #2 is the back of the board. I think it would work with no problem at all...Evan Clarke

Thanks a lot Evan,
    I'll give it a go.

-Brad