Thread: Tachihara Shirom 6x9cm

Tachihara Shirom 6x9cm

Armin, you see a lot of those, it is a looker and will be a nice conversation piece on your mantlepiece...... if you wan to use it, then you will find it fiddly and it is a lot better to buy a medium format like a Makina 6x7 or Makina 6x9., movements limited to such a little quantity that they are hardly worth it.

Tachihara Shirom 6x9cm

Armin, I played with it in several occasions but decided that it didn't do anything for me, I 'd rather buy a 4x5 and add a rollfilm holder having movements and versatility of two formats. A camera is like your partner, what is good for one might not work for another. Only advice is play a lot with it and if possible take the camera for a walk, fiddle around with it..... if after a rollfilm it still turns you on.....then it is your mate, much like with people, isn't it? Good Luck!

Tachihara Shirom 6x9cm

I've never seen one "in the wood," but asked questions of an eBay seller once. The answer that turned me off was his response saying no, the back doesn't reverse; one must turn the entire camera on its side for verticals.

Tachihara Shirom 6x9cm

> turn the entire camera on its side for verticals.

I asked about that same camera and got an unclear response that I interpreted the same way; it looked like an interesting little camera though.

I wonder if that's really correct.

Tachihara Shirom 6x9cm

I seem to recall the camera having only a horizontal back and don't think that the construction would have allowed for a turning back( the canera appears pretty "rectangular" as opposed to "square"), however this is really a tiny camera, so apart from having to order a set of oriental hands to help you with setting the camera, turning the camera to vertical would be easy for any self-respecting tripod.

Tachihara Shirom 6x9cm

If you use this camera from an airplane, is it an Aerial Shirom?

Glenn