Thread: Best "allaround" wide

Best "allaround" wide

Hi everyone,

I am considering to buy a 90mm to complete the set (90-150-210) for my linhof technika V. I shoot primarily architecture/landscape, so I need something with acceptable image circle and f-stop around 5.6.

I have selected three lenses which I think I can afford used: Grandagon-N 6.8 (cheapest and lightest); Grandagon-N 4.5; Fujinon SWD 5.6.

The problem is that I'd like to avoid bag bellows (only recessed lensboard), so my question is: have any of you experience of this lens/camera combination to give me advice about the best lens to choose?

Re: Best "allaround" wide

Sorry, I forgot to name mysef

Marco

I don't think that you will have a problem with bag bellows on a Tech V, as the bellows is fixed. That is, you cannot change the bellows.
    Else, my opinion is that the extra f/stop you are looking for doesn't give you that much brighter ground glass. A good fresnel lens will serve you much better in that regard. The larger f/4.5-f/5.6 lenses are so much bigger and takes much larger filters. The f/8 lenses performs about the same with much less payload and smaller filter sizes.
    About the lens, as economy is important, don't disregard the f/8 lenses. If you can find one, the Nikkor 90mm f/8 lens is highly appreciated, but any of the modern lenses from any of the 4 big names will do nicely as they all perform about the same. Check the post (number 7 in that thread) and the links that Arne Croell provides in this thread: Rodenstock or Schneider.
    So, out of the ones you mentioned, the f/6.8 Rodie would be the one I recommend.

//Björn

Hi Björn,

I already have a fresnel lens coupled with my gg, so for what you say I imagine the rodenstock 6.8 would be more than enough for my needs! I only hope I won't have problems with shifts without a bag bellows... This is the thing that concerns me most...

Thankyou for your reply

Marco