Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Photoclam Multiflex - Arca Swiss C1 Cube clone

Re: Photoclam Multiflex - Arca Swiss C1 Cube clone

Every geared head I've seen or used has some play in it.

People should respect the Arca patents. But cripes, I bet they use the same CAM machines and metal stock, so why is it 3x more? If we're having a global economy I guess that leaves Europe out of every market except for the one for snob appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Every geared head I've seen or used has some play in it.

People should respect the Arca patents. But cripes, I bet they use the same CAM machines and metal stock, so why is it 3x more? If we're having a global economy I guess that leaves Europe out of every market except for the one for snob appeal.

hmmm... Apparently the Korean knockoffs are acceptable, while Chinese knockoffs are evil.

BTW, I bought this geared head this Spring, very well made.

Sometimes patents aren't that inclusive. There may be several features on the Arca head that are patented but as Shaubild pointed out the basic design quite likely isn't patented by Arca. I don't see anything wrong with buying the Multiflex head.

As Songyun mentioned, it seems to be very well made. It compares very well with RRS, Acratech, and Kirk for quality. It is hard to see how it could look better.

The only negative points for me are that the bubble levels have a fairly viscous fluid making them slow to respond and concern about cleaning it when it gets sand in the gears.

I'm very glad I bought it.

Jeff Keller

The movement mentioned earlier in the thread is due to the arms that allow the head to be oriented 90 degrees. There is a lock mechanism that will stop the movement.

There may be play in the gear mechanism but I do not notice it. The head uses heavy grease which makes the movement rather slow but very smooth. It seems ideal for LF. It would probably feel sluggish for someone wanting rapid adjustment. However if you release the lock on the pan movement, it provides a nice smooth rotation like you would want for a video camera.

Jeff Keller

Not a bad price at all, compared to other geared heads, and especially to the now $2,500 CUBE.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Keller View Post
    The movement mentioned earlier in the thread is due to the arms that allow the head to be oriented 90 degrees. There is a lock mechanism that will stop the movement.

There may be play in the gear mechanism but I do not notice it. The head uses heavy grease which makes the movement rather slow but very smooth. It seems ideal for LF. It would probably feel sluggish for someone wanting rapid adjustment. However if you release the lock on the pan movement, it provides a nice smooth rotation like you would want for a video camera.

Jeff Keller
    I'm surprised by the grease, my Arca is completely dry. I have used this now for about 3 years, sometimes in sand and lots in extreme cold and there is no sign of any wear or tear on it and absolutely no play. I use it almost daily...Evan Clarke

Tried to Email the folks at Photoclam, but the emails are returned/relay rejection, any body has made contact or bought one of these tripod heads and where from.

Try Kerry at: http://reallybigcameras.com/

from a later thread:
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=42428

I had originally contacted photoclam in Korea but have lost my email records.

Jeff Keller

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Keller View Post
    Try Kerry at: http://reallybigcameras.com/

from a later thread:
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=42428

I had originally contacted photoclam in Korea but have lost my email records.

Jeff Keller
    Hi emailed Kerry before and again today via a PM

I did some more digging through my files. I had received a PayPal request from master@kipc.co.kr

I believe they have one person who translates English. It can take several days to get a response (unless you know Korean). Also be sure your spam filters allow email from Korea.

Probably Kerry is out using his cameras. He will probably respond as quick as PhotoClam.

I'm still very happy with the head. Good luck,
    Jeff Keller