Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 150 G-Claron info needed

150 G-Claron info needed

I'm continuing to expand the stock of lenses I'm using for 8x10, mostly on the wider end. I'd pretty much decided I could afford a 210 Fuji (older style with 352mm of coverage), but as I looked at an old brochure on the G-Claron line of lenses I was struck (pretty hard) by Schneider's claim of 385mm of coverage for a 150 at f/22 !!!

I've seen folks post that Schneider under-reports coverage and this is certainly true for their more contemporary literature on this line of lenses, and the brochure was old (1986) and posted at Cameraeccentric, but 385mm image circle is huge.

Anybody have any info to share about using this lens on 8x10, stopped down and the coverage they can verify?

Also, I've read it fits directly into a #0 shutter ... Copal, Seiko, etc. True or false?

Re: 150 G-Claron info needed

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Baird View Post
    I'm continuing to expand the stock of lenses I'm using for 8x10, mostly on the wider end. I'd pretty much decided I could afford a 210 Fuji (older style with 352mm of coverage), but as I looked at an old brochure on the G-Claron line of lenses I was struck (pretty hard) by Schneider's claim of 385mm of coverage for a 150 at f/22 !!!

I've seen folks post that Schneider under-reports coverage and this is certainly true for their more contemporary literature on this line of lenses, and the brochure was old (1986) and posted at Cameraeccentric, but 385mm image circle is huge.

Anybody have any info to share about using this lens on 8x10, stopped down and the coverage they can verify?

Also, I've read it fits directly into a #0 shutter ... Copal, Seiko, etc. True or false?
    One tiny caveat: It covers that at 1:1 For normal shooting it covers 5X7 barely.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

1986 is not old in LF lenses; 1896 is.

All the -Claron lenses are repro lenses of one sort or another, and are optimised for 1:1 or close to that. All (official) image circle claims for repro lenses are stated for 1:1.

But yes, it fits in a #0 shutter.

Still laughing at myself... I knew if the specs were true, they'd be written about EVERYWHERE, in large and bold type and would sell at huge premiums (more than already) like the Fuji A lenses, but then it answered my questions and helped me to get some closure on my thinking (and buying).

onward through the fog...

I used to have a Fujinon W 150mm/6.3 that covered 5x7 and I never ran out of room. Nice tiny little lens. I have used the G-Claron
    210 on my 8x10 and it covered without movements as I recall. Been a few years, I since retired the 210mm to my Durst 138s for enlarging 5x7 negs.
    lee\c

You might look at the 210 G Claron. It covers 8x10 when stopped down to about f16 and the useful coverage continues to increase the more you stop down. I've had a couple of them that I used with 8x10 and had plenty of room for movements when stopped down to my usual (for 8x10) f32 and smaller.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Brian is right about the coverage of the 210 G Claron and stopping down past f16. I forgot to include that info. It has been a few years since I used mine on the 8x10.

lee\c

The G-clarons are listed for 64° of angle. So this is the only spec to know in addition to the focal length ;-)
    So for the 150 in infinity-focus position you get something like 190 mm i.e. focal_length x 0.62 x 2 (0.62 = TAN(32°))
    Twice this figure for 1:1 ratio yields ~ 380 mm close to the actual spec of 385 mm in the brochure.

Quote Originally Posted by Emmanuel BIGLER View Post
    The G-clarons are listed for 64° of angle. So this is the only spec to know in addition to the focal length ;-)
    So for the 150 in infinity-focus position you get something like 190 mm i.e. focal_length x 0.62 x 2 (0.62 = TAN(32°))
    Twice this figure for 1:1 ratio yields ~ 380 mm close to the actual spec of 385 mm in the brochure.
    That 64° spec was to hold the modulation transfer function specs to a tolerance that graphic arts printers required. It really sees 82° at smaller apertures with sharpness well within tolerance of most LF photogs far into the corners at that angle. We have a different requirement than the original user it was built for.

well, I know I can't do the math to answer all my questions, it's easier to buy the lens and conduct testing. My only problem is time, so I bought one in a barrel and will drop into a #0 shutter and have a go. I'm already working on a project, it's summer when I have time to do this stuff, and I'm super curious anyway. (I would like to know what are the image circle(s) focused at between 6-10 feet, at several given f stops; I can't imagine being good enough in math to figure that out ) I'll use my eyes.

stay tuned
    Last edited by Darryl Baird; 23-Jun-2008 at 10:46. Reason: poor punctuation