Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Lenses for the 7X11 Format and Contact Printing

Thumbs up Best Lenses for the 7X11 Format and Contact Printing

Hello to all 7X11 shooters.

I have read very little about the format but otherwise know it is the size of choice to go with IMHO for the ratio and the fact that one that argues for 8X10 can chop of 1" of the sheet and insert it in for a full 7X10 print, thank you.

With respect to how 7X11 has a bit more of the wide perspective, even wider ratio based than 5X7, what types of lenses do people use for their wide angles and also just a general all purpose lens that seems to do the magic with this format and contact printing?

I know many have used wide angles on 8X10 and know many feel that the contact print is not worth having when shooting wide angle lenses since the detail is too far away into the print to make it effective.

Just want to start up a 7X11 thread since I know many are going this direction due to the ratio, IC=basically the same as 8X10, and for those that didn't put an ounce of thought into it, you can make a "lot" of neat sizes in the 7X11 frame that you cannot do too well on with the 8X10 frame:

I.E. 7X11, 7X10, 7X9, etc...vs. 8X10, 8X9?...

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

Re: Best Lenses for the 7X11 Format and Contact Printing

You'll get essentially the same perspective (oh no! I didn't mean it! don't let's start another perspective thread!! ) on 7x11 as on 8x10 with any given lens. If you want to be more accurate, multiply the 8x10 lens focal length by 10/11 to get the equivalent perspective (sorry, sweating now!) on 7x11. Example 300mm on 8x10 (x 0.15 or ~45mm on 35mm camera) would give the same perspective on 7x11 as 300 x 10/11= 272 mm on 8x10 (~41mm on 35mm camera). This simple geometrical result can be worked backwards to let you know what focal length lens to use to get any specific 35mm camera or 8x10 perspective. Example, if you want the 35mm camera perspective of 35 mm you would need 35/0.15 =233mm on 8x10 or 233 x 11/10=256mm on 7x11. And yes I am using only ratios of long dimensions for all three formats; I don't get why people use diagonals!

I think I made my sleepy self a bit unclear. I have read that when using say, a 300mm lens on 8X10, you see the square in front of you vs. the 7X11 piece of GG. In other words, it produces a different way of seeing the image vs. the square look of 8X10. I have also read that wide angle lenses are not wise choices for the format but have not figured out why, but feel it has something to do with both the resulting look of the contact print and the different perspective of 7X11 vs. other more square based formats such as 8X10/4X5/etc.

7x11 isn't that overly panoramic.

I think it was Kerry that posted an explanation of why he didn't use really wide lenses on pan formats. But I think he was talking more about the 2+:1 formats then something like 7x11 is about 1:1.5 or 2:3.

Isn't this just speculation until you set the camera up with a lens and your choice of subject?

I don't understand that bit at all about wide angels not making effective contact prints. IMO pano formats and wides are the bee's pajamas.... Unless there's some really wild and spectacular Fibonacci thing going on with 7x11 format specifically.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Graham View Post
    Isn't this just speculation until you set the camera up with a lens and your choice of subject?

I don't understand that bit at all about wide angels not making effective contact prints. IMO pano formats and wides are the bee's pajamas.... Unless there's some really wild and spectacular Fibonacci thing going on with 7x11 format specifically.
    If I was using this format, I'd likeley choose a 270 G-Claron. I don't understand the "contact print" component, but that's just me.

(you also have the "golden mean"; the "golden section", and etcetera)

..golden ratio, golden spiral, yes indeed. But what I was wondering was: how much impact would the Fibonacci sequence have on lens angle and the 7x11 format as opposed to other formats?
    I need to sleep; before I can address your question in any semblance of an intelligent manner.

My interest was the contact print thingy. I don't get it.

Me too! And no fair quoting a deleted post. . My brain has finally against turned back on itself in a cramped mobius strip...

Me too! And no fair quoting a deleted post. . My brain has finally against turned back on itself in a cramped mobius strip...
    It could be worse, Colin. Your psyche could be trapped in a Klein bottle...

I'd delete my quote of your deleted post; if only I knew how...

Not sure there is a best lens (other than the whole best lens you can afford thing) but I use a 240 - 450 on my 7x11. If I had a wider format, say 150-210 would use it as well, if it worked with what I was seeing (that whole visual thing ) Since all I do is contact print, have no issues with a wide format vs something longer or a longer lens vs wider.

Would seem that is more a personal preference, or more likely I just don't understand the question....but then it's HOT here (not a real excuse, just wanted to mention that)
    Mike Castles
    My Web Site
    Rambles