Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enlarger Suggestions?

Enlarger Suggestions?

Hello all,
    I am in the market for an enlarger: I want it to be able to print up to 4x5 using variable contrast paper, and have either a condenser or diffusion lamphouse. I was thinking either the Omega D5 or the Saunders/ LPL 4500. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

Re: Enlarger Suggestions?

My suggestion is that you aren't too picky, wait for someone who wants to clean their basement or studio. This was how I picked up my Beseler MX and most of the rest of my studio, complete with an Aristo high output cold light head, for a whole 80 bucks. There was also a studio here in Toronto that was getting rid of their big heavy LF enlargers. A 8x10 enlarger went for $200...
    Cheers

Right time & place. I was use given a "loaner" of a Omega 5x7 with a Coldlite. The key is to befriend older photographers. That or faithfully watch Craigslist. My DII almost cost me more in the gas it took to drive the 20 miles there and back plus road tolls.

I had already been looking on craigslist and ebay. There is a D5 available with a 50mm Rodenstock Rogonar-S f/2.8 ~ f/16, a 80mm Nikon El-Nikkor f/5.6 ~ f/32, 135mm, and a Schneider-Kreuzach Componar f/4.5 ~ f/22 for $1000.00. There is also a Saunders/ LPL 4500 for $1650.00 without any lens' or negative carriers.

Hi, those prices are too high. You should be able to get a good used D5 with lenses for $400-500 or an LPL 4550 for $500-1000. Also any lens ending with "ar"- such as componar, rogonar are lower cost lenses that aren't the best. Look for Rodagon, Componon S. The El-Nikkors are also good.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

You know the other place to get good things are fairs. At the last Photo Historical Society of Canada photographica failr, I had a guy virtually GIVE me a lovely geared Elwood 5x7 enlarger.

wfwhitaker

There's a D5 in the classifieds section of this forum here. It's local pickup, though, so it depends on where you are.

Quote Originally Posted by loismclewis View Post
    I had already been looking on craigslist and ebay. There is a D5 available with a 50mm Rodenstock Rogonar-S f/2.8 ~ f/16, a 80mm Nikon El-Nikkor f/5.6 ~ f/32, 135mm, and a Schneider-Kreuzach Componar f/4.5 ~ f/22 for $1000.00. There is also a Saunders/ LPL 4500 for $1650.00 without any lens' or negative carriers.
    Even if the Saunders includes the Saunders variable contrast head, it's still an extremely high price, the D5 is quite high too IMHO. With a little patience you should be able to pick up a good 4x5 enlarger and at least one excellent lens for a whole lot less than $1000. If you don't have any darkroom equipment look for package deals that include things like negative carriers, easels, timer, trays, filters, etc. The cost of buying that stuff separately can add up. Any enlarger can make prints on variable contrast paper but an enlarger with a color head (or, much harder to find used, a variable contrast b&w head such as the Aristo VCL4500 head) will make printing on variable contrast paper much more enjoyable than using filters.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by loismclewis View Post
    Hello all,
    I am in the market for an enlarger: I want it to be able to print up to 4x5 using variable contrast paper, and have either a condenser or diffusion lamphouse. I was thinking either the Omega D5 or the Saunders/ LPL 4500. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!
    Where are you located?

Cheers,
    Geary

If you are any where near Springfield, MO., I can help with a 4x5 Beseler in darn good shape for a very reasonable price. Where do you call home?
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg