Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My 11x14 Walnut camera

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

My 11x14 Walnut camera

Well, I thought I would post some pictures of her for all to see. I am very proud of this one. Fashioned after my Zone VI 4x5, all I can say is that she is huge! It took me 10 months and 14 days with hand tools, Dremel, a small 4" table saw from Harbor freight, drill, chisels, and a lot of hand finishing and polishing. I must say that the Walnut polishes out very nice. I used a Deardorff back and the bellows I got off of e-bay, but everything else is hand built by me in my apartment. Can't wait to try her out.

Jim

Re: My 11x14 Walnut camera

Congratulations, you did a fine job!

Jorge, thanks. I can't wait to take her out and use her. I'm just staring at her for a while. Now I can clean up the apartment and put the tools away.... at least for a while. I had a crazy thought if making my own 8x10 out of Walnut so I can have three that would match. I need to think about that one for a while. I've been building cameras off and on for a little over two years now. Time to burn some ULF film!!

Jim

Really nice! It definitely looks a lot sturdier than my 11x14 New Improved Empire State View Camera (cira 1910's). What size of lensboard does it take? Let me know if you would like to modify a NIB 11x14 B&J battleship gray 8x10 reducing back. I was going to use it on my 11x14, but have taken another approach. Thanks for sharing. Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wilson View Post
    Really nice! It definitely looks a lot sturdier than my 11x14 New Improved Empire State View Camera (cira 1910's). What size of lensboard does it take? Let me know if you would like to modify a NIB 11x14 B&J battleship gray 8x10 reducing back. I was going to use it on my 11x14, but have taken another approach. Thanks for sharing. Jon
    Jon, thanks. It takes 6x6 lens boards. I can use them with my 8x10 and 8x20 cameras. I have to think about any more work on cameras right now. I still have to weight this thing and I do like my 8x10 so a reducing back may not be needed. But you never know. Thanks for the offer.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    Jorge, thanks. I can't wait to take her out and use her. I'm just staring at her for a while. Now I can clean up the apartment and put the tools away.... at least for a while. I had a crazy thought if making my own 8x10 out of Walnut so I can have three that would match. I need to think about that one for a while. I've been building cameras off and on for a little over two years now. Time to burn some ULF film!!

Jim

Time to start thinking about your 20X24!

Sandy King

Big Negs Rock!

Jim, you clearly didn't learn from the first one you built -- that I saw on the Disney outing. Dude, you have to get out there and shoot, or build them for others -- but I doubt that that could work financially. That said, it isn't now. ;-) Keep up the good work and the development by inspection. I'd love to see some of your work.

Kind Regards,
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

Sandy, you must remember. I live in an apartment!! There isn't enough room for me let alone a 20x24!! It is a little less than twice as big though. Hum....... No I think I'll at some point I'll build an 8x10 to replace my Seneca Improved. Then I would have three Walnut cameras. They sure do look nice. Plus I need to get serious about the carbon process. If I keep building cameras I won't shoot as much as I would like.

Mark, thanks man. Oh, I'm going to be all over contact printing. I can't wait to shoot this baby. I need to clean up the shop ( Apartment) so I can shoot and do some printing. I have some negs ( 8x20) from Yosemite that I haven't printed yet along with some test 8x10 negs that I shot with my 11x14 lenses. The negs all look great. I'll post some stuff soon.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Fitzgerald; 16-Apr-2008 at 22:27. Reason: can't think right or spell. distracted by this 11x14!!

joseph

Well done, looks great-
    look forward to seeing some pictures from it-

j

Quote Originally Posted by jb7 View Post
    Well done, looks great-
    look forward to seeing some pictures from it-

j
    Joseph, thank you. I can't wait to see my first 11x14 contact print. I have a 250 sheet box of Azo in the fridge waiting to be used.

Jim