Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Wollensak is this?

Billy Canuck

Which Wollensak is this?

I have an Empire State #2 8x10 which I'm restoring. The lens that came with the camera is marked "Wollensak VI noo-Anastigmat 12", f-stops 6.8 to 64, mounted in a Betax air shutter. The lens looks like it's of the same vintage as the camera, which would place it in the first decade or so of the last century. I've looked at the Wollensak catalogues on the Camera Eccentric site, but it doesn't appear anywhere. Does anyone have any info on this lens? I'm not sure about the "noo" before the "Anastigmat," but that's what the characters look like.

Re: Which Wollensak is this?

Since starting to research for an article on Wollensak lenses I've been amazed at what keeps showing up. This is just one more fine (weird) example. I thought the "VI" might indicate Series VI, but that doesn't seem to compute. (The only Series VI I have any record of is probably an MF large aperture lens.) I'm grateful for Seth's cataogs on his site, but they are only a beginning. When you get your camera restored it will be very interesting to hear of, and hopefully see, the resulting images.

Wish I could help.

I'm guessing that you misread it and it is Wollensak's Vinco anastigmatic. This was an early Wolly foray into making Anastigmatics before they began the long and profitable line of modified tessar lenses (e.g. Velostigmats IV and Raptars). Probably from the 1905-1910 period.

One of those sold on Ebay earlier today. It's a Vinco Anastigmat. I've not had one before but I'll stick my neck out and say it's probably an inexpensive dialyt type.

Quote Originally Posted by Toyon View Post
    I'm guessing that you misread it and it is Wollensak's Vinco anastigmatic. This was an early Wolly foray into making Anastigmatics before they began the long and profitable line of modified tessar lenses (e.g. Velostigmats IV and Raptars). Probably from the 1905-1910 period.
    I suspect Toyon is right. My lens reads
    Wollensak Vinco - Anastigmat f.6.8 8X10 no.13632 Focus 12 inches
    It is in a betax No 4 shutter. Front and back lenses measure 2 inches and the whole thing is 2 3/4 inches long.
    see http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/...ostigmati.html
    for the renaming of it to Velostigmat iv
    Regards
    Bill

I think you guys have got it backwards. The Betax came later not earlier than the shutters available on the cameraeccentric page you linked. This Vinco seems more like a 1940's product. I've not found it in any of the catalogs. Still a mystery.

I suspect the Betax was added later. I've had some very early Wollensak shutters "Auto" etc.. that fit a later Betax precisely.

According to the catalogues the Vinco morphed into the Series iv before the 1919 catalogue. The Betax shutters were advertized in the 1922 catalogue.
    Does the f stop range 6.8-64 on the shutter suggest the switch in shutters might have been a factory job?
    Regards
    Bill

Billy Canuck

Thanks everyone. The lens is indeed a Vinco-Anastigmat. From counting reflections it appears to be a triplet rather than a dialyt -- two elements in front of the shutter, one behind. It's going to be interesting to see what kind of vintage look it will produce.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Haeseker View Post
    Thanks everyone. The lens is indeed a Vinco-Anastigmat. From counting reflections it appears to be a triplet rather than a dialyt -- two elements in front of the shutter, one behind. It's going to be interesting to see what kind of vintage look it will produce.
    Ahh. I had thought of the possibility of a triplet. That explains a lot. Anyone with catalogs or sales media that show this lens, please help out.