Page 247 of 427 FirstFirst ... 147197237245246247248249257297347 ... LastLast
Results 2,461 to 2,470 of 4262

Thread: Show off your Large Format camera!

Show off your Large Format camera!

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    Don't expect the trunk to stay up perfectly in cold weather. The shocks fail in colder weather sometime, but it's still convenient.

Still driving my 2000 9-5 and 1991 se convertible. Not so many miles though. Probably 2 years left in the 9-5 before rust ruins it.
    Thanks, I once had a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee SE with trunk shocks that needed replacement due to cold weather falling, but this was shot in 8 degrees Fahrenheit so I'm doing ok, if it needs to be replaced in a few years no big deal it's an easy change out. But good to keep in mind. There's always those things called sticks if I get in a bind

Yea my 2000 Saab 9-5'a engine essentially exploded, decided to replace it myself, by the time I finished (about a month later) I had bought a 2001 Saab 9-5 Aero so I sold the 2000 9-5 lol, the 2001 is what has 249,000 miles, the Jeep Grand Cherokee had 225,000 when I sold it for $2,000 but this Saab was a trade in at a dealership so I didn't get much...

Hope to have this new one for at least 100,000 miles, the only thing I have to worry about is the rear differential which tend to wear out on these, but that's exactly what I was told would ware out on the Grand Cherokee and so far so good.

Back to the camera, I love that this thing is tall and the trunk hatch opens tall, I can stand up fully and not bump my head (I'm 5'9"... Or technically 174cm for you metric folk, I like metric better it's more precise) so using the view camera underneath is actually do-able, I'm looking forward to an opportunity to give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Ditto on the hatch of that Forester. My wife has one of the same vintage. However, strut failure mode is somewhat random. It gave me no trouble at temperatures as low as 16 degrees F in Grand Canyon last December, but has slowly crept downward in much higher "cold" temperatures here in coastal southern California.
    Thanks, this isn't a forester, I haven't said what make it is because I get enough flack from a few jealous people recently when it comes to me buying nicer gear like my Chanonix 8x10 and new holders etc and don't need to hear them complaining that I just have money to blow, I don't, but I tend to buy higher end things and then use them until they are well loved, I budget well and sacrifice smaller things to get the bigger things, I hope the mileage numbers on the Saab are proof of that, but anyway, it's a 2008 Land Rover, it already has 111,000 miles on it, but was $5,000 less than the others of the same year I looked at that only had 80,000 miles but this one seemed in much better condition and better kept, engine and such sounded new, cleaner nick free interior etc. So I went with this one. The used "luxury" car market is actually cheaper than the normal market (Toyota, Honda, Chevy) and honestly the parts are the same price, the labor is more from a dealer but if you can do it yourself, which I can, the price is the same and you end up with a nicer overall value IMO.

I'll keep an eye on the shocks though, wouldn't want that to fall on the camera, so thanks for the warning.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    I hate it when that happens, so I have one of these, just in case. Google for 'car strut clamp'. It's handy on slim light stands, too.

Attachment 129037

To be on topic, this is one of my 4x5 super wides.
    Nifty, I would worry that might marr the strut and then cause it to fail even more, no? But good idea, can always just use a light stand grip head to hold it too.
    Last edited by StoneNYC; 8-Feb-2015 at 16:15. Reason: Response to Sal and Jac added

Re: Show off your Large Format camera!

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    I hate it when that happens, so I have one of these, just in case. Google for 'car strut clamp'. It's handy on slim light stands, too.

Attachment 129037

To be on topic, this is one of my 4x5 super wides.
    That clamp looks nice. I have used a piece of pine strapping (cut to the perfect length) to prop it up in the past when I had a hatchback. I could put some big camera stuff in a hatchback car.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cunningham View Post
    Aren't these beautiful? I have one too, and the wood is stamped in several places with a number, in my case ’4'. Is yours similarly marked?
    Paul
    I can not find any stamps or markings on the wood or metal.

Quote Originally Posted by esearing View Post
    I can not find any stamps or markings on the wood or metal.
    It might be very hard to see, if it's even there. Here are two places on mine, and there is a third under the rails.

(Where red circles are)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	anba2.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	129056

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    May I ask what was hard to use about it?
    StoneNYC, I was afraid of failure! I guess i was over my head after, especially since I almost never planned on using it anywhere other than inside! In the meantime it is back to my Pentacon Six TL 6X6!

Mini-Large-Format

Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Interesting Paul. I had not seen that model, with the extra knob. The ordinary one will also do rear swing; just push one side forward and the other back.

My Anba Woodview (model with rear swings). Serial number 4?

Attachment 129032

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Mini-Large-Format

I have bad movie thoughts about that tree. Deliverance? Equivalence? Physiologist?

I guess I do look at some images...
    Tin Can

It might be very hard to see, if it's even there. Here are two places on mine, and there is a third under the rails.

(Where red circles are)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	anba2.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	129056
    I didn't think to look inside. Mine has two 1's or 11.

Nice legs......

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Mini-Large-Format