Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: When did you decide you were an artist?

Re: When did you decide you were an artist?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    When I got my BFA
    Speaking for myself solely. I "grew up artistically" in the heyday of the battle to get photography recognized as a fine art. This issue was enormously important to me and I was very vocal and emotional about it. I guess in my youthful naivety I decided I was a "real" artist when I had my first one-man show, which was was shortly after I finished my BFA in 1972. Now, 36 years, an additional MFA, a few books and dozens of shows later........it doesn't seem all that important. In the end, all that seems to really matter is the work, a handful of images that I have made that seem to be important and the never ending struggle to make a few more.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I always I have seen a photographer, but now in exhibitions, fairs and newspapers call me an artist. Well............now I'm artist.
    Xavier Deltell
    www.xavierdeltell.es

As Kirk says, it doesn't really matter.
    I also have been, and sometime I still am, infuriated by the ignorance of some people who repute photography a lesser art in respect to the more widely accepted forms of self expression.
    Then I think of what the process means to me, what the viewing of the great works stirs up in me and evrything falls into place. I do not care of what other people think: I know what it is.
    Nobody has still defined Art correctly and nobody ever will, because it can't be done.
    An Artist is first and foremost a human being and that our main concern should be to develop that area. The creative side is only one of the facets of our personality, an important one nevertheless.
    Really, to the Artists out there, do you feel an Artist?
    How does it feel?

In the desert...

I am selfish, I like to shoot and print only what amuses me , often at the moment, at times, I like to put off getting my photo work done, It doesnt seem of interest to me that anyone else likes what I do or don t do. I do nt strive to sell anything, I do like to see what others do. I really enjoy looking at photographic images-especially on paper. I enjoy trying different mediums and learning "alternative processes", I am ecclectic and very inconsistent. I like really big cameras and really small cameras...I appreciate images from sharp high res lenses and pinhole images. If I were to be called an artist, I dont know, I think I might find that a great disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Barall View Post
    I think that it's a distinction without a difference. In other words, it just doesn't matter.

It's one of those things where it's alright for people to call you an artist but if you call yourself an artist it just sorta sounds obnoxious. And also, how can you read that Briot guy. Ninety nine percent of what the guys says is just wind. Do yourself a favor and study art history and theater and music and anything else you can and speak to people who have been at these things for a while, I mean like fifty years. Think of it as a life long pursuit for knowledge and not just something that you can look up on Wikipedia.

Just make things and don't worry about what to call yourself. Good luck !
    What I like about Briot's writing style, is that he gives you ideas and exercises to accomplish to help you grow. He also uses large format and medium format, so many books I read only discuss digital.

I enjoy art history and reading about it. I go to the MFA a few times a year, along with other art museums. Through my reading and trips to the MFA, I have developed a deep appreciation of impressionists, especially Monet. Photography and art are a lifelong passion, something I will keep learning about.

Thank you.

In "a" dark room contact printing at age 12, it was like magic and I instantly knew there were possibilities that only I could make come to life.

When my wife told me I was.

I had gone back to the same spot repeatedly for a number of years because I had not gotten the image just right.

--Gary

not a fan of that word artist...do not even like being called a photographer much...I just think of it this way...I do what I do because I have to do it...you can call what every you want, thats not important...the work is

www.gerryyaum.com

About the time I picked up a medium format camera in preference to my 35's. Now that I'm a bit bigger, so goes my head. I consider my work to be artistic in vision. Don't care what others think. My photography is for me anyway. But kudos are kinda neat on occasion.
    Thanks.
    CW

Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee. - The Yeti

I've always been an artist. I've just never been understood....even by myself :-)
    Laurent