Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dagor'S Serie's III

Smile Dagor'S Serie's III

Where all Goerz Doppel Anastigmats either F-6.8 or F-7.7 weather german or swiss or american ? The reason I ask this is the one I am getting is in a Volte shutter the f-stops are in US numbers and the lowest # is us 2.9 ?

So based on that I am going to take it for granted that the US # are incorrect for this lens?

I have one coming its as follows: GOERZ DOUBLE-ANASTIGMAT. Series III no 1 FOC 6.5" S/N 150345

Just try-ing to learn about what I get and have gotten: Thanks a lot
    Lauren MacIntosh

Whats in back of you is the past and whats in front of you is the future now in the middle you have choices to make for yourself:

Re: Dagor'S Serie's III

US 2.9 would be f6.8. All the Series III Goerz lenses I have run across have been f6.8 if small or f7.7 if large.

Seawolf,

You have an F:6.8 Dagor, pre 1904(?) when they went to the Dagor acronym. Yours is marked in Uniform System stops, where U.S.16 = F:16.

Dagors 14"/ 355mm and longer were all F:7.7, F:8 for the Kern Swiss versions.

CameraEccentric has online copies of Goerz literature.

Nice lens for your 4x5.

Seawolf66,

Yes, and you may just find that it also covers 8x10 if you don't expect too much in the corners. Mine is the same in Volute, #160401 and it does 8x10 (I think) rather nicely on B&W. I wouldn't try to shoot 8x10 color calendar shots with it, although these old lenses, if in good shape, can certainly surprise you.

Cheers,

Steve

The ser. iii versions of these lenses usually do have more coverage than the later versions. I use my 168mm (probably the same as 6.5", no?) ser. iii for 8x10" occasionally and for 4x5" when I need all the front rise I can get.

I thank you all for your information and comments on this lens,Since I do not use a 8x10 and have no plan of it since 5x4 is heavy enough for me. As long it gives me corner to corner sharpness I'll be very happy, will post fotos of it and from it some time soon: thanks all
    Lauren MacIntosh

Whats in back of you is the past and whats in front of you is the future now in the middle you have choices to make for yourself:

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    The ser. iii versions of these lenses usually do have more coverage than the later versions. ...
    I find that hard to believe - there is no difference in the construction between a "Doppel-Anastigmat Serie III", a "Doppel-Anastigmat Serie III D.A.G.O.R", a "DAGOR Serie III" and a "DAGOR" - C. P. Goerz in Berlin used all these designations, sometimes simultaneously, depending on the lens size and thus available space for text.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Tjugen View Post
    I find that hard to believe - there is no difference in the construction between a "Doppel-Anastigmat Serie III", a "Doppel-Anastigmat Serie III D.A.G.O.R", a "DAGOR Serie III" and a "DAGOR" - C. P. Goerz in Berlin used all these designations, sometimes simultaneously, depending on the lens size and thus available space for text.
    Ole, thanks for asking the question.

Based on what I've read in these two threads:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=36121

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=13109

I suspect that disagreements about Dagors' coverage reflect disagreements about just what "covers" means.

Cheers,

Dan

LJ Segil

So will a C.P. Goerz Berlin Doppel-Anastigamat D.R.P. no.74437 Serie III No.3 f=210 m/m no. 127500 cover 8x10, and what does it all mean anyway? Why two serial numbers, a Serie III and a No. 3? Is this a spy game, or does all this convey more information about the lens (that is, convey it to someone who speaks Goerz better than I)? And how would it have ended up in an Ilex Acme #3 shutter? Does seem to take nice snaps in my limited use thus far, so I am kind of curious.
    Best,
    LJS

Will it cover 8x10? Depends on what you mean by cover. People claim these beasts cover 85 degrees, in which case yes. But Eric Beltrando (see dioptrique.info ) has run the prescriptions through a lens performance program and believes that f/6.8 Goerz Dagors cover less than 70 degrees. In which case, no. He got much the same results for the very similar Boyer Beryl, has told me that in his opinion the 1965 f/6.8 Beryl (last redesign) really covers only 70 degrees, and at most 50 degrees for really critical work. Boyer's propaganda claims 85 degrees.

Since you have the lens, put it on an 8x10 and see for yourself whether the detail it puts in the corners is good enough for you.

Serie III refers to the design type, No. 3 to the format covered. Look at lens catalogs on www.cameraeccentric.com, you'll see that manufacturers used to give lenses numbers that corresponded to a format, usually the one for which the lens' focal length is normal. Each manufacturer had its own system. B&L had at least two, one for lenses sold to Kodak and another for lenses sold to other buyers.

How did an old lens get into a relatively modern shutter? Someone paid a machinist ...