Hi all,

I have been looking at the availiable 4x5 field cameras and I am having trouble deciding which one is for me. I would like a solid camera, with somewhat low wei ght. I currently own a Tachahara and early on I noticed that there was several m illimeters of play in the front standard when everthing is locked. I just don't see the point of carrying a heavy tripod, ball head etc. and a camera which is n ot rigid. I don't need a camera that is built like a tank but I won't put up wit h any looseness in the critical parts of the camera. I shoot landscapes, usually I dayhike to my location but I may try some overnight backpacks. Here is my cur rent analysis:

Horseman VH: Seems to be a great camera but I noticed that the tilt spec is 10 d egrees forward and 15 degrees backward. Is this sufficient? Say I want to photog raph a flower that is 5 feet in front of me while still having the background i n focus. As a comparison, the Toyo 45AX has tilt of over 90 degrees. I don't wa nt more movements than I will need but I also want a camera which will not restr ict my landscape photography.

Toyo 45AX: Specs seem good, but fairly heavy. I would like to draw the line at a bout 4 lbs but I could live with 6 if the Horseman movements are not sufficient.

Gowland Pocket view (or other Gowlands): Excellent weight, but will it have pla y in the standards like my Tach? Maybe I could buy this for backpacking and use the Toyo for dayhikes.

Others?

I appreciate all comments. Anyone out there have a Horseman VH or HD?

Thanks,

Alex Horvath