Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8x10 Lens Suggestions

Mike C.

8x10 Lens Suggestions

I just bought Eddie Gunks C-1 8x10 and need a good, yet moderately priced wide angle lens for it. Does anyone have a recommendation for a starter lens in wide angle. I will only be using the lens for B&W photography. Thanks for your assistance, Mike C.

www.pbase.com/jakeyferret/f32

Re: 8x10 Lens Suggestions

Depends on how wide you want. I use a 240mm G-Claron frequently as a slightly-wide on 8x10. They are relatively inexpensive compared to new, modern wides, but sharp enough to be a keeper, too.

Mike C.

Thanks Ralph, Mike C.
    www.pbase.com/jakeyferret/f32

I'm finding I like the 240mm focal length a whole lot--on 4x5 and 8x10. On 8x10, 240mm is a moderate wideangle and most lenses give decent if not generous movements. I have a 240mm f/5.6 Symmar-S in a Copal 3 and 240mm f/9 Docter Germinar W in a Copal 1 and both work well for 8x10. If you want a small lens, the 240mm f/9 Fujinon A in a Copal 0 would be a great choice and is easily available. The big Copal 3 240mm lenses like the Symmar-S, Apo Symmar or Sironar-N are excellent lenses with bright images, but are on the heavy side. Smaller lenses like the Germinar W or the Fujinon A and G-Claron are good choices if you can live with the slightly dimmer groundglass image.

I use a 240mm f5.6 Caltar IIN in Copal 3 and find it to be very sharp and contrasty. Pretty cheap too, last I looked around $250-300 on ebay.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Mike C.

I am glad to be a member of this forum! Where else can you get advice like this ? Thanks everyone, Mike C.

Some claim a 210 mm is a good jump from a 'normal' 12" lens, but I like the 240 mm as well. I use a Nikkor.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ilex-Calumet-Ser...QQcmdZViewItem

I'm not associated with this auction, and the "buy it now" price is about the going rate for a nice example of this lens, which is also known as an Ilex Acuton. I have a couple of these, and love them both. Bright for focusing at f/4.8, fairly wide and also a nice close-up lens. It covers 8x10 with modest movements, is very sharp to the corners, and converts to a nice 14" lens (very nice for portraits) with a factory conversion scale for the aperture. The shutters are usually quite reliable, and the design is a plasmat with single coatings.

As I said, the price is just "okay", but if the price were based on performance, it would go for considerably more. These are fairly common lenses, so you might well find one for less.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

wfwhitaker

Mark's suggestion is good. I have a Caltar 375mm which compares favorably to the Kodak Commercial Ektar in performance, which is to say it's nice. Personally I find the 8 1/2" focal length a tad wide for everyday use. My own preference is for something in the 10" range. That's the "long side of the format", a focal length I find appealing in most standard formats. Consider a 10" Wide Field Ektar. Joel Meyerowitz used one exclusively for his exquisite photos in Cape Light. You will, of course, decide what's best for you. One of the neat things about 8x10 is that there's a world of lenses out there waiting for you to discover them. In addition to Ebay, don't forget to check the "usual suspects" and, in particular, Midwest Photo Exchange.

The 240 G Claron is a very useful lens on an 8x10, though you'd be fortunate indeed to find one priced as a "budget" lens these days. The 10" WF Ektar is also a beautiful lens but once again, these things aren't "budget" any more. It would be rare to find either in a working shutter for less than $600.

You might consider a Wollensak Velostigmat triple convertible---I think they are still way undervalued and will give you three focal lengths.

The 210 G Clarons are worth looking at as well---they'll cover 8x10 with some movements and don't seem to be going for as much as their 240mm brothers.

The Ilex version of the 165mm F/8 Super Angulon might be worth considering as well if wide is what you're truly after.

Happy hunting!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White