Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: filters on a threadless lens? Gundlach Radar

Re: filters on a threadless lens? Gundlach Radar

Daniel, there's info on the Radar lens here.

I have the same 12" version, but I've not tried it yet, the Betax shutter was terrible, it had been oiled

The shutters now oil free, and works far better but can be a bit erratic. So I'll have it CLA'd properly.

Compared to my 12" Dagor of similar vintage it's very heavy, and large, make sure yours is securely fitted to the lens board, mine fell off when I put it on the camera (luckily onto a soft carpet) judging by the number of screw holes that had happened quite a few times before.

You need a very strong cable release for the Betax shutter, it takes a lot of effort to cock & trip the shutter !!!!

I'll be interested to hear how you get on with the lens, and see some images.

Ian

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    no one mentioned the lee gel snap which is available in 4x4. I was thinking about getting one for the same purpose. any reason not to?
    No reason at all, just get one. I use mine all the time - on old brass lenses with non-standard threads, newer lenses which happen to have a different thread from anything I've got, dented filter rings, or whatever. everything, that is, except for the small (65mm, 90mm and 120mm) Angulons which just don't have any barrel to grip on.

3d Visual Effects artist

Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    You need a very strong cable release for the Betax shutter, it takes a lot of effort to cock & trip the shutter !!!!
    heh, yea I noticed that! I guess that's because the shutter is cocked and released at the same time?
    Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com

I use two filter holders for my threadless and odd-sized lenses--a little Voss 3" filter holder that attaches with a spring clip and has two barn doors that cost me $15 used from keh.com, and a Lee Gel Snap for 4" filters. I can also use 4" filters on my Sinar filter holder and in the back of my Linhof compendium shade. For even bigger lenses, I'm usually using them on my Sinar, so I can use the Sinar filter holder, or I just figure out a way to tape or clip the filter to the lens.

Can't help chiming in here:

I have a couple of strips of medical skin tape (the gauzy-looking stuff) taped to the clear plastic of my filter-carrying pouch. When I need to rear mount a filter, I just hang the next larger size filter off the rim of the rear lens element and secure it with the tape strips. The tape keeps its adhesive for a long time. One could carry a roll as well. (I would be extra careful with this if the camera were pointing up though...)

I use this technique sometimes with wide-angle lenses to avoid stacking filters in front of the lens and thereby vignetting.

Cheap and effective as well as low-tech...

Best,

Doremus Scudder

no one mentioned the lee gel snap which is available in 4x4. I was thinking about getting one for the same purpose. any reason not to?
    I bought one to try with my odd assortment of lenses. So far it has worked great and has the added benefit of letting me more easily hang my 4" Packard shutter on the front of a brass lens and also on the front of some "experimental" lenses I made from PVC pipe and simple optical elements.

The gels on the other hand are quite fragile.

It must be the season of the Radar and Betax 5. I just got one too. Most of the below say it's a modified tessar. Mine also had clean glass, gummed shutter. Lighter fluid treatment seemed to get it working. It must weight 8 lbs! Feels like one solid chunk of glass.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ighlight=radar
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum44/3...-question.html

Garrett
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/garrett...735284/detail/

I'm with everyone else - these system work very well for me with my older lenses. I also made a slip on/take apart barn door sun shade unit that fits right over the top of the Lee frame.

Dan

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Anyone know if the Lee Gel Snap will work with 4x4 glass filters? And what's the largest lens barrel it will fit? I've got some monsters...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."