Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: big scans / small scans

Re: big scans / small scans

Generally printers do not print in rgb, even if it might seem that way from feeding the printer an rgb file. The only exception is a LightJet, Chromira, Durst, or some other laser or LED type of chemical RA-4 machine that outputs only photographic prints, but these are a very different realm than commercial printing and publishing outputs.

If I could explain better, many current photographers stick to rgb only in workflows. When they send out rgb files, someone down the line converts that to cmyk. So to be absolutely clear, there is no rgb commercial printing. The issue is that conversion from rgb to cmyk is rarely done with any sort of care, and this is what causes the most problems. Due to time constraints, or a lack of truly skilled workers, most rgb to cmyk conversion in the commercial printing and publication world is: open the file in PhotoShop, select convert to cmyk, and let whatever default setting there is take care of the conversion. In other words, it is a total crap-shoot on whether or not your image retains any character or brilliance. You are at the mercy of the person doing the conversion when you stick to rgb, which is why I keep pushing photographers to learn cmyk.

Remember that when the image finally comes out in print, and the client/customer sees the final item, they will first think of you (the photographer) when they see that image. If it looks great, then good for you. If the conversion from rgb to cmyk was rushed, or done badly, then it still reflects upon the photographer, and in this case badly. Consider that most clients and end viewers do not know/care/understand about rgb to cmyk conversion, so it would be rare for the in-between person actually doing that conversion to get any blame. So if you want to be more certain of your images looking better in final print form, I highly recommend learning more about commercial printing and to consider doing your own cmyk.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Moat View Post
    Generally printers do not print in rgb, even if it might seem that way from feeding the printer an rgb file. The only exception is a LightJet, Chromira, Durst, or some other laser or LED type of chemical RA-4 machine that outputs only photographic prints, but these are a very different realm than commercial printing and publishing outputs.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography
    What happens when you print a RGB file on a printer like the Epson 3800? The inks are subtractive colors so I assume Photoshop must convert the RGB file to use the CMYK inks?

Sandy King

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    What happens when you print a RGB file on a printer like the Epson 3800? The inks are subtractive colors so I assume Photoshop must convert the RGB file to use the CMYK inks?

Sandy King
    No -- the Epson driver does the conversion. Worse, most of the Epson drivers will convert a CMYK file to RGB and then back to CMYK, because the driver really wants to start with an RGB file (somebody actually showed this a few years ago -- should be in the archives of the yahoo group EpsonWideFormat IIRC). The driver also converts the file to the driver's preferred PPI because it wants a known starting point for doing its dithering algorithm math. It does make it easier -- on Epson anyway.

Bruce Watson

Also just for a point of reference, when you soft proof an image with a printer file (say Epson 4880/Crane Museo Max), you are soft proofing in a custom CMYK profile.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

profiles for printers with a driver requiring RGB in, as Bruce describes (which means pretty much any OEM driver instead of a RIP), is an RGB profile. It's showing you what the CMYK (or whatever) inks on the given paper will look like, but it's RGB. Three channels, not four (CMYK).
    Tyler