Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Arches NP

Re: Arches NP

I had Delicate Arch all to myself at first light and for nearly 3 hours right after a 6" snowfall in late December. There was unplowed snow on the way in, 4WD was a necessity, and it was a bit spooky to realize that if it'd been even a little bit icy underneath the snow, sliding over the lip into the bowl or over ~1000' cliff edge on the other side would have been a real possibility.

I just wanted to second going around Christmas. Not to gloat or anything, but believe it or not, I had delicate arch completely to myself for over an hour. If the pictures I made aren't transcendent, well, my time there certainly was!

www.austingranger.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan J. Eberle View Post
    I had Delicate Arch all to myself at first light and for nearly 3 hours right after a 6" snowfall in late December. There was unplowed snow on the way in, 4WD was a necessity, and it was a bit spooky to realize that if it'd been even a little bit icy underneath the snow, sliding over the lip into the bowl or over ~1000' cliff edge on the other side would have been a real possibility.
    Ivan, you beat me to the punch. I guess I'm not the only photographer lucky enough to have been granted solitude at Delicate Arch! I'm glad you didn't go over the edge.

Quote Originally Posted by MumbleyJoe View Post
    ...It doesn't strike me as a great place to create unique photographs...
    Wow, that sounds just like the “not too impressed” thread about Zion NP.

Try not to let everyone else’s photo work at Arches influence you. Just go! Walk out on the many trails. And please don’t let anyone convince you that Delicate Arch is a hackneyed image to avoid. Hike to it. Go early or late for the best light. No, go early the first time. Go late the second time. You’ll avoid crowds both times. Here’s a secret. I’ve counted the number of original photos that can be taken at Arches NP, and I can assure you: The postcards have missed several. What’s more, all the photographers who beat you there have missed several, too.

I was about to recommend Edward Abbey’s Desert Solitaire (a brief account of his time there as a ranger before it was a NP). I thought it might whip-up some anti-postcard inspiration in advance of your trip. But forget Abbey. Forget him just like the postcards. Don’t read him. Just depend on yourself. I predict Arches will overwhelm you w/ unique photo opportunities; you’ll capture many of them; and we’ll be eager to see your work here when you return.

You might be interested in Dan Baumbach/Bret Edge's iFotoGuide to Arches, an iPhone/iPad app. It has a lot of good info you can carry around with you, and is well worth the $4.99 price.

I was there around June 20, and it would get quite hot in the sun. Lotsa people at the well known locations.

Interestingly, I've found that when I was shooting 4x5 I would get lots of questions/comments. With the 8x20 the opposite is true, people walk around me like I am some infernal apparition and never say anything. (maybe I am)

There are so many places to photograph in that part of the country, I skip any well known spot.

Drew Wiley

Oct and esp Nov are gorgeous there. It's easy to get away from people, and probably
    won't be crowded that time of year anyway. Why the heck does everyone think that
    the only thing there is Delicate Arch? Herd mentality I guess. But if you go off-trail
    (which I highly recommend) be sure to have plenty of water, avoid the "mazes" down
    in the "fins", and realize that slickrock really is slick when it's wet. Generally you get
    cold nites and warm days that time of year. The northern section of Canyonlands is
    adjacent and a single park pass lets you into both. The town of Moab is a bit of a zoo
    and magnet for trail bikers, but a few minutes out of town and there's plenty to
    photograph. Don't miss the drive right along the Colorado River up toward Cisco,
    Castleton Valley, and Fisher Towers. The Abajo Mtns are also nearby and wonderful,
    but be aware of where the deer hunters are in late Oct, and the potential for snow.
    There are numerous places to camp if you can't stand the motels in town. Deadhorse
    Point has fabulous sunrises.

If you go in the spring and plan to stay in Moab avoid the period when Moab has its annual (I think) car show. I forget what they call it and exactly when it's held, Erik probably knows. But during that time the stores and restaurants are jammed and the motels are all full, the streets are crowded, people sit out on the curbs from one end of town to the other until all hours of the night watching the cars slowly drive up and down the street. I made the mistake of inadvertently picking that period last year and regretted it. Not that it ruins the trip for photography, it just makes the Moab part less pleasant than it otherwise would be.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

The car show is usually the end of April. AVOID the town at this time

Like Austin and Ivan, I was there in December-only 3 other photographers and a couple other small groups for the 3 hours I was @ Delicate Arch.

Winter is also great since it is the off season-hotels are less than 1/2 price.

Bonus, good tasting food and beer at the Moab Brewery (although, like everything in Utah, low point beer)

Easter week(end) is another one to avoid in Moab; That's when the Jeep safari takes place, unless you're into Jeeps :-)

http://www.moabhappenings.com/events%20year.htm

-Leon