Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whats up with all the 8x10 cameras disapearing?

Whats up with all the 8x10 cameras disapearing?

I used to shoot a lot of 8x10 black and white, gave it up for 6x9, which was foolish, as I realize that was a mistake and miss LF a lot. Couple of years ago there were tons of 8x10 gear on ebay and now theres nothing and many other sites are all out of stock of their 8x10 cameras. Are manufactures totally discontinuing support for LF?

Any sites to look at for gear?

Thanks

Dave Karp

Re: Whats up with all the 8x10 cameras disapearing?

I think the opposite is true. From what I have heard sales of 8x10 and larger on the film side are increasing. Keith Canham told me less than 1 year ago that he was selling more 8x10 and larger cameras than 4x5 (I think that is accurate).

I've been looking at 8x10 cameras and my experience is the opposite. Chamonix, Shen Hao, Canham, Richard Ritter, Tachihara, Arca-Swiss, Ebony, and more--all easily available new. Plus loads of old classics like Deardorfs, Kodak Masterviews and 2D's, Anscos, and B&J. Try Badger Graphic, MPEX, KEH, and keep looking on eBay--your wallet will be empty in no time.

It hasn't disappeared, it's just landed in the hands of those that dedicated to large format photography. Im sure that the surge in available equipment a few years ago was due to Commercial Photographers changing over to digital.

yours;

I think Equinox Photographic in Oregon has one on thier site. Happy hunting!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

We just received the latest Linhof distributor price list from the factory effective May 1, 2008 (today). All 8x10 cameras are no longer listed. The 2007 price list still offered the GT and GTL cameras in 4x5 and 8x10. So effective today, Linhof no longer offers an 8x10. But they did introduce a new 4x5 digital camera body, the RD 1 for copy stand use.

So Linhof now offers seven 4x5 cameras, two 6x9cm cameras, one 6x17cm camera and one 6x12cm camera.

For those of you with 8x10 Linhof monorail cameras they do still offer the accessories for those cameras (B and later models).

PM sent.

You actually live in an 8X10 hot bed. Go down the road to Townshend and visit Richard Ritter, the fellow who made the 8X10's for Zone VI. www.lg4mat.net

I do feel that we have seen the mass transfer of these cameras from their original purchaser / users / professionals to a secondary group now that is mostly hobby related folk. You can see any number and quality of 8X10's changing hands almost daily on Ebay.

I also feel they have become sort of trendy and many are getting bought, tried, and set in a corner when folk see that they are a different breed from the 4X5 etc.

Daniel,

By all means, visit Richard Ritter. Richard is currently making me a 6.25 lb 8x10 camera. I purchased an 8x10 about 4 years ago and haven't shot more than 50 4x5 negatives since (vs 750 8x10 negatives). I love the large ground glass of an 8x10 and yes, the lenses, holders and film are expensive, but what the hell, you only go around once in life, so I might as well enjoy it!

Seems to be an abundance of them, at least in my house...

erie